Workshop
Ask a question

Laundry renovation incorporating hot water system

Benskimo
Making a Splash

Laundry renovation incorporating hot water system

New.pngAlrighty Workshop Brainstrust, I'd like to get some wisdom here, please. I want to renovate our laundry, I've read this great article about planning the reno, and there are a few constraints. We have the (electric) hot water system currently in the middle of a side wall (see floorplan sketch below). After some advice from @MitchellMc, I'd say we'll probably leave it there, as the cost of moving it outside (and then getting some sort of shelter over it) isn't enough to offset the benefit of extra storage space.

It's a walk-through room not unlike @Nham's really neat laundry renovation here, but with some extra width (again, floorplan below). BUT the Minister of Home Affairs wants to keep our top-loading washing machine, which kinda kyboshes any plan for having a nice benchtop, like all the laundry renovation posts I've seen here. Apart from that, a fold-out ironing board and some overhead cupboards would be neat.

Any thoughts and advice welcome! 

• Any advice about boxing in an existing host water system, so that we can store stuff around it, yet keep access to it in case of mishap?
  • Any advice about selling the benefits of a front-loading washing machine? :wink:
  • The walls are that ol' 60s fibro, so I suspect asbestos...? Should we get someone to rip it out? Or clad over the top...?

Thanks heaps!

laundry-floorplan.jpg

laundry1.jpg

laundry2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice for a laundry renovation with constraints plz...?

A tricky little situation that one @Benskimo.

What you can fit around that heater will really come down to exact measurements. You might be able to get a 450mm pantry cabinet in that gap, but the door likely won't open fully. You could always leave the door off and have exposed shelves. If you box the heater in, you'd be able to have a panel on the front attached with concealed screws. Removing this panel would give you access to the heater. 

The bench space you'll be able to achieve with a front loader is amazing. You can make it work with a top loader, but you'll have a reduced bench. He's a few renderings to give you some ideas.

Mitchell

Laun1.pngLaun2.pngLaun3.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Benskimo,

Let me also tag some other experienced renovators for their thoughts: @prettyliving@diy_hausdesigns@redbournreno and @EricL.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Benskimo 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc. Just to add to the suggestions already made. Have you considered moving some walls? At the moment you have a wall near the hot water cylinder that's badly placed and is not offering any storage space at all. If this wall were removed or repositioned. You'll be able to put in a full 900mm cupboard by my estimate. 

The same can be said over at the other side where the washing machine is. I suggest removing the wall near the laundry tub and opening your laundry area. With the proper design enhancements, it will become a feature of the house instead of just the wash area. I've placed some diagrams below for your consideration. If you wish to see it in another configuration, please let me know.

I've owned both machines at one time or another, but personally, I find that front-loaders do a better wash because of the tumbling action. I often find top loaders sometimes get things tangled and ripped in the centre agitator.

Please enjoy the pictures

Eric

Benskimo Laundry1.jpgBenskimo Laundry2.jpgBenskimo Laundry3.jpgBenskimo Laundry4.jpgBenskimo Laundry5.jpgBenskimo Laundry6.jpgBenskimo Laundry7.jpg

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Benskimo ,

Looks like an interesting project and in a very small space. For the corner with 450mm, I would build custom floating shelves to fit the area and paint it white. You can have the Dyson connected and stored here and move it away from the wall. For the water heater, have you considered a transparent sliding screen/room divider? It would cover the water heater but also give you access to the space. For the area to the left of the water heater, I would consider open shelving. I think any cabinets doors on this side of the room would close in the space. For the ironing board, we use a mini version that is easy to store away.

For the other wall, can you move the top loader outside the room? It seems you have some enclosed space next to the window. You will get more storage and bench space and it will look better in the long term. You could also sell the front loader and use that to offset the price of the front loader. Good luck with your build.

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 12.11.36 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-12 at 12.11.16 pm.png

Benskimo
Making a Splash

Firstly, a HUGE WOW and kudos to @MitchellMc@EricL and @Nham - I really appreciate your ideas and the effort with the rendering images you've gone to - blows me away! Also thanks to @Jason for spreading the word.

The Minister for Home Affairs is definitely against a front loader (the top loader is pretty new, plus does bigger loads), but I reckon I could get a new tub that is slightly narrower (like this one here), which would free up enough space for a bench that's wide enough to put a laundry basket on. That'd be fine.

Thanks for the ideas about the cabinetry. I can't move any walls (that little wall at the end is exterior brick), but leaving some shelving open will do the trick in that area. I can remove a wall that's currently above above the water heater, which would free up space right up to the ceiling for cabinetry, so that's good. Thanks for the ideas of what cabinetry could look like there.

By the way, a quote I got for re-doing this laundry was $17k!!! That included $1.5k for moving the hot water system outside, which doesn't have enough of a pay-off to do. Based on your advice, I reckon I can do all this myself, so thanks again. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated and reach out if you need more assistance @Benskimo. We're here to help the whole way through your build.

Mitchell

hakeae
Growing in Experience

Hi, I'd like to support the Minister - I am working on my own reno and everyone says "get rid of that top loader and get a front loader; it'll be so much easier to design" and the answer is "No way!". I do not want a front loader, and the reno has to work around having the front loader! :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hakeae. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for adding to the discussion.

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the benefits of a top loader over a front loader. As you've mentioned, it is much easier to design a front loader in, and the added benchtop space they free up is a real selling point. Would you say that the benefits of a top loader outweigh those of the additional bench space? I have a top loader but still managed to squeeze a bench large enough for a washing basket to sit on into the space. I feel having some bench space is essential, but the amount is certainly up for debate.

I'll be looking forward to your build and hearing about the other projects you have going on around the house and garden. Please let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

hakeae
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, I have a microscopic laundry that I have been agonising over for a while. I tried to talk myself into a front loader, and it would have made redesign easier, but I want my top loader.  The biggest benefit of top loader for me: standing access V getting down on the floor. I investigated putting one on a raised platform, but all the manufacturer's specs said "must be on the floor" so I didn't want to risk it falling off a platform. Secondly, with the top loader I like the soak option for eg whites and stained items; I use that a lot, and I can manually soak big items like blankets and doonas by 3/4 filling with warm soapy water and leaving overnight. I believe that front loaders have "soak" etc options, but not the same :). There are other things like the time it takes for a load to run. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects