Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom layout suggestion

Susu
Finding My Feet

Bathroom layout suggestion

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community and this would be my first ever renovation project. :smile:

I'm currently looking to remodel my bathroom. It is a really long but narrow space, it is around 3.9m (length) x 1.3m (width) - see the floor plan and photo below.

Really keen to get some ideas/suggestions on the new bathroom layout as I would like to fit a toilet somewhere, and ideally I would still want to keep a separate shower and bath. I have a couple of ideas but not sure if it will work.

Idea 1: Similar to the current layout, but reduce the size of the shower space and vanity, move the bathtub closer to the shower to create extra space to fit in a toilet between the bath and the new vanity?

Idea 2: Replace the shower area with a toilet, and replace the bath with a bath and shower combo in the current space.

Idea 3: Replace the shower area at the end of the room with a round bathtub (as I don't think there would be enough space to fit in a proper bathtub horizontally) with a shower combo, and fit in a toilet between that and the vanity.

Thanks in advance!

(length)Bathroom floor plan.PNGBathroom1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom layout suggestion

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Susu. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your bathroom renovation project with us.

It sounds like you already have some fantastic ideas for the space.

It seems like an interesting choice, having the shower, bath and sink in one room and the toilet elsewhere. But it must have been in style at one stage as I've actually got the same issue where the toilet is not in the same room. Is the toilet just next door currently? It would be terrific if it were as you could then consider removing the wall and combining them. If it is close by, you might like to supply a plan for your house as well. 

Let me mention @redracer01 to see if he has some ideas, and I'll get back to you with an optional layout of my own.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Susu,

If you were to go with a free-standing bath, reduce the shower space slightly and minimised the sink, then it looks like you could fit the toilet. It's going to be fairly tight but still achievable. I'd suggest reducing the sink's size more than the shower as there is nothing worse than a cramped shower.

Mitchell

BD.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Susu
Finding My Feet

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thank you so much for the drawing! :smile: it gives me an idea of what it might look like with a toilet. I think fitting everything on one side might be too cramp and I will probably want a bigger vanity than that.

Yes, it is interesting that, back in the day, the style was to have the toilet separate from the bathroom. In my case, it is far far away. I have to go through my living room, through to the kitchen, and the laundry room to get to the toilet. 

I did a proper measurement today and I realised the width of my bathroom is actually 1460mm wide and the length is around 3850mm. I have resubmitted my floor plan with measurements. see below.

Bathroom measurement.png

I think with the new measurements, I might be able to go with my plan 3 of fitting my bathtub at the end horizontally with a separate shower, new toilet and perhaps even a double vanity? see my drawings below. I wonder if something like the below would work? Would you guys know what is the recommended spacing for things like a bathtub, shower space, the gap between the toilet and the glass panel and the vanity?

Also, if I reconfigure the shower and the bathtub spots, would there be a lot of (expensive) plumbing work required?

Thank you

Idea 3 layout.png

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Susu 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! Thank you for sharing your project with the workshop community. I see @MitchellMc has given you a very a very good idea of a possible layout. Since you've proposed a shower over bath there is a bath that does not take up a great deal of space and is almost the same size as a standard shower enclosure! The Bella 910 Inset Shower Bath is perfect for your application. When you want a soak simply push the plug to close and you can soak in the tray itself. It is of course for those times that you feel that a quick soak would help or perhaps when the kids want a bath! I've included the dimensions at the bottom of the post. Now when you are at the far end of your bathroom you will see that I've hidden the toilet in a small wall. Visually speaking it looks like there is no toilet but as you walk in further it slowly reveals itself. In this configuration it affords you to have a 1200++ vanity and a laundry basket. But if you feel that you want a full length bath then you will have to compromise on the size of the vanity and we will have to squeeze in a toilet that requires a space of at least 800mm. Please have a look and if you prefer the configuration with a larger bath I will redraw your lay out for you.

To answer some of your questions :

Re-locating the plumbing will not cost you a great deal, obviously less if you leave the plumbing where it is.

The space for your bath tub is dictated by the size of the bath, there are no fixed rules for bath spacing for installation yes, but you can have as much or as little space as you want near the bath. Same goes for showers, I have seen 750 x 750 showers and sometimes even smaller. Again there are no fixed rules, but perhaps for the ability to actually  have a shower in a  very confined space.

because the bathroom is so long you are tempted to fill it with as many bathroom appliances as possible. I suggest having a ponder about what you really need for your bathroom. Will having no bath affect the family? Do you prefer a bath to a shower? Do you have seniors in the house that might trip in shower over bath configuration? Once you've determined what you need then, laying the bathroom out should become much easier. I say should because there are a dozen more things to decide on like tile color to tapware. Below are the sketches I've drawn up for you have a look and tell us what you think. If you have any more questions please post it here on workshop and we will try to answer them as best we can.

Cheers,

Red

Susu shower1.jpgSusu shower2.jpgSusu shower3.jpgSusu shower4.jpgSusu shower5.jpgScreenshot_2021-05-21 Bella 910 Inset Shower Bath - Decina Bathroomware.pngScreenshot_2021-05-21 Bella 910 Dimensional Drawing 23012017 - Bella-910-Dimensional-Drawing-23012017 pdf.png 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects