Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Budget laundry reno ideas

Farsie
Finding My Feet

Budget laundry reno ideas

Hi all! I've recently purchased my first place, a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom townhouse - my brother and I will be living here permanently, however at the moment our friend and housemate is staying with us so my original plan of painting the whole interior to begin with has been put on hold since we have a lot more furniture around than anticipated!

This means my focus has moved to spaces like the laundry, since there's not much 'stuff' to be worked around in that space.

One of the bonuses for me was that there is an internal laundry, rather than under the house (this particular townhouse is one level but highset). Having said that the space is small and basic in the fixtures and no natural light as it's in the middle of the house.

laundry.jpg

This is a rough sketch of the space. It measures 1600x1450, entry is 935 including the door trims. The switchboard for the house is also in here, as is the manhole so I can't put anything permanent along the lefthand side or along the back wall lefthand side (most I could go out from the right is about 700mm). The sink is a pretty standard steel tub with cabinet. I generally don't use the sink and cabinet is not the best storage solution so I'm wanting to change that.

My initial thoughts are this - install a benchtop running along the righthand wall, removing the cabinet and sink. Install a smaller round sink similar to this but hopefully in black and flush mounted. Replace the laundry taps and the washing machine taps and have the washing machine against the far wall. I'm thinking a 600mm kaboodle cabinet under the sink with white doors.There should be enough left of the offcut from the benchtop to do a sink inset cover thing, and space between the washing machine and cabinet for laundry hampers. I've also already removed the laundry door, since we never shut it, it makes the space feel smaller and it was quite a few bangs and dents on it.

I feel like wall cabinets would enclose the space more, so I'm leaning towards one or two shelves above the bench running the length of the wall for additional storage.

I'm in two minds on what to do for the backspash. I definitely want it to run the length of the wall, but I'm leaning towards stick on tiling at the moment. I would like to eventually (in 3-5 years most likely) have the powerpoint moved down below the benchtop and the washing machine plumbed directly, but my budget doesn't allow for it at the moment. It seems a bit of a waste to tile when sections will probably need to be redone at that point anyway.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Budget Laundry Reno Ideas

Hello @Farsie 

Any chance of a photo of the area?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

They aren't the best photos @redracer01, the linen cupboard is on the other side unfortunately but here you go!

20200511_195646 (1).jpg20200511_195609.jpg

There's a shelf in there above the sink that I've put in as a temporary measure as well.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @Farsie.

It's fantastic to have you join the community and congratulations on purchasing your first place. It's an extremely exciting time which I'm sure you're enjoying every moment! It looks like the talented and ever helpful @redracer01 will be able to provide some design ideas for your laundry which is great to see.

You might be interested in seeing what the @MakeItYours team achieved with their Laundry and home storage makeover as it should provide you with some inspiration. You could also take some ideas from @ProjectPete's My Laundry Reno and @prettyliving's $500 Bunnings laundry reno as they both completed some fantastic transformations.

I look forward to seeing what our member's ideas are for your renovation. Please remember to start a discussion anytime you need advice or have something to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @Farsie 

Here's my suggestion for the make over. My only thoughts on this is perhaps if possible place a sun tunnel so that sunlight will shine in this room.

Cheers!

Red

A giant mirror to make the room look big!A giant mirror to make the room look big!farsie2.jpgfarsie3.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Looks fantastic @redracer01. Well done.

Looking forward to seeing what you think @Farsie

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much @redracer01 that looks awesome! I'd actually considered a mirror but wasn't sure how it'd look, so it's great to 'see' it work haha. I love the hanging rack under the cupboards too - what tiles did you use for the backsplash? A skylight would be fantastic and is in the 'future plan' so to speak. :wink:

@MitchellMc thanks for linking those - I'd actually already seen the posts by @ProjectPete and @prettyliving while I was gathering ideas, but I didn't seen the @MakeItYours video, that was a good watch.

Heello @Farsie 

I saw the stick on at amazon - green stick on tile.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects