Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get wall flange to seal?

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

How to get wall flange to seal?

Help!

I've bought some new taps for our shower. The spindles were too short so I bought some ceramic disk spindle extenders. It doesn't leak but I'm stumped as how these flanges are supposed to fit. 

Any help is appreciated!

20220604_195603.jpg

20220604_195406.jpg

20220604_195508.jpg

20220604_195553.jpg

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to get wall flange to seal

Hey MC.

I wasn't aware any depth changes could be made. The extenders are solid brass and the supplied spindles didn't mention any depth adjustment. Just on or off. Could you give me a bit more info?

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Unless you're talking about the locking nut? It was removed before installation to provide the greatest depth.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Aneil

I believe my colleague was possibly referring to the spindle locking nut. It is adjustable, but I'm afraid it might not help in your current situation. My next suggestion is to use a rubber seating washer as a spacer to raise the level of the Mondell flange. 

Place at least 2 rubber seating washers first before putting the original flange on top. Mark the outer diameter of the flange with a pencil. Remove the rubber washers and trim them down with a sharp Stanley knife. If the height is lacking you can add more rubber washers, it's an easy alternative rather than putting in silicone. In this manner, you can still remove the flange and not have to cut silicone out.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Could work! Not too expensive to try. Just want to check and see if this is what you mean. The flange doesn't screw to anything. It just slides back and forth along the sleeve. 

20220607_175517.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Aneil

I was thinking more behind the flange rather than in front of it. The flange actually has an internal O-ring that seals against the body of the spindle. So I was thinking that we just need the flange to move forward so that it is on the body of the spindle cover. Have a look at the sketch below.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for all your help guys! I really do appreciate it!

My only concern is that the flange isn't secure. It's held in place by an o-ring that provides slight friction against the spindle body (sleeve - Mondella) and is easily moved forwards. Even with rubber behind the flange, the flange will still move forwards. 

I don't understand how it's secured to the wall. It slides up and down the sleeve. Starting to think I've either installed these things backwards, or I'm missing something.

20220607_182834.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Aneil

Just to put your mind at ease, you've installed it correctly and there are no missing parts. To my understanding, the flange only serves as a cover for incidental splashes from the shower. However, if you wish to seal it to the wall, I'm afraid your only choice is to silicone it to the wall and seal the gap between the body of the spindle cover. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Thanks again guys! You've got me thinking. Maybe a combination of the two?

If I could get a rubber washer about 2 or 3mm thick (or a small square of neoprene) cut it to size and place it behind the flange I could silicone both to the wall with some grey silicone. It'd secure the flange and cover the gap between the flange and slide.

I might get this to work.

Any recommendations on silicone that will adhere to rubber?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Aneil

If you put enough silicone on top of the rubber piece it will form a seal on top of it. However, it will not bond to the rubber surface if that's what you're asking. So in essence any bathroom silicone sealant will work, just make sure that you apply enough of it to form a proper seal.

Eric

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

With the rubber behind the flange will it provide enough adhesion between the tiles and the flange to prevent the flange from moving? I'm thinking yes but I'm not sure. 

I'll wait until the weekend, see if bunnings gets a reply from Mondella then I'll give it a go!

Thanks again for your help! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects