Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to locate rare Irwell 39748 basin taps spare parts or complete assemblies?

irwellconverter
Finding My Feet

How to locate rare Irwell 39748 basin taps spare parts or complete assemblies?

I am trying to locate a supplier of replacement ,complete valve spindle assemblies (qty 2) for very old Irwell bathroom basin taps code 39748. The taps are of the jumper valve construction (with a washer) Both the male stem and female mating threads are worn and the complete spindles need replacing.

At this stage I prefer not to revert to ceramic disc type spindles assemblies as the existing handles have a 12 tooth nylon insert in the underside/top end of the handle, and the handles are fastened to the valve stem with a male threaded screw. Most valve stems on the market have a male thread (at the very top end of the stem) onto which the handle is attached.

I think it would be difficult to match both, "a ceramic disc type valve spindle and a current market-style handle" to the "existing basin taps plumbing"

I also think the 'new' spindles and handles assemblies  might 'sit' too high above the basin surface.

Any advice would be appreciated...  Regards to you all.

WIN_20210607_16_11_38_Pro.jpg

Re: How to locate rare Irwell 39748 basin taps spare parts or complete assemblies?

G'day Jason

Quick email

I prepared a ten line email and while attempting an attachment, I took a long break from the laptop, which shutdown, and now I cannot locate (the lengthy text of) the email in the Bunnings Workshop site. 

Any ideas

Regards

Stan 

Re: How to locate rare Irwell 39748 basin taps spare parts or complete assemblies?

Stan (@irwellconverter

Sorry you lost your post. The site's text editor does have an auto-save feature. If you have any draft posts you can find them on your member profile page (just click on your username and go to the bottom of the page). Unfortunately you don't have any saved drafts, so it appears you have lost your message.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

G'day Jason, thanx for your emails and apology for delay in replying - I have not been idle in this spindle 'quest'

Firstly, it is possible that the code '39748' is a plumbing approval code(?). The tap is a Caroma 88-98 series(?) Please refer to attachment for my spindle.

So far a dead end re direct replacement. A possible 'limited' remedy is a Ceramic Disk spindle from extremely helpful West Aust company - 'Easy Tap'. They deal through distributors, but not Bunnings. The item is the TZ2014, 1/4 turn CD spindle. Please refer to attachment. The principal, Tony Zeng, however, remarked that in this set up there could be an abnormal noise issue of 'undesirable water flowing noise' through the basin spout, if aerator is not fitted. I have to take this warning/advice into consideration from a practical viewpoint. I cannot fit an aerator to my chromed cast brass basin spout. "You win so and you lose some!"

Any further help and suggestions would be appreciated? Are you able to offer my thanx, and also pass on this email to Brad, Redracer and MitchellMc. 

I shall continue my search...

Regards and Keep Safe

StanWIN_20210607_16_11_38_Pro.jpgWIN_20210629_14_29_28_Pro.jpgWIN_20210629_16_08_55_Pro.jpg

Hello @irwellconverter,

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @redracer01, @MitchellMc, and @Brad. My only other suggestion to complete your puzzle is to replace your spout with a Shaw & Mason WELS 3 Star 9/L Min Chrome Plated Low Line Basin Spout. This is an updated spout but should work with your existing plumbing setup. It has an integrated aerator that will satisfy the requirement of putting in a ceramic disc replacement. 

Thank you so much for posting those photos and updates. It will be a great resource of information for our members with similar tap spindles in their homes. 

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your basin set repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects