Workshop
Ask a question

Laundry and entrance makeover

VanessaW
Cultivating a Following

Laundry and entrance makeover

Hello community,

My first post as I've only just discovered this forum! Our laundry is in need of some love. Not only is it the laundry, it's also the entrance to our place because we're on a battleaxe.

IMG20210321142135.jpg

Dimensions are: 2300 (solid wall) by 1500 (window wall to door)

Ideally I'd love to rotate the tub and move the washing machine taps to have everything on the long wall with a bench and storage etc. But that might be a bit too costly, so I'm also keen to know what options are possible if I leave plumbing where it is and just upgrade the tub, pop a bench over the machine, new splashback tiles and some storage.

Would love to see any designs or ideas people might be able to come up with for us!

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas for laundry and entrance makeover

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @VanessaW. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

Since this is your home entrance, I would strongly suggest you consider building a thin partition wall to isolate the laundry. It will mean the laundry is quite thin and possibly a bit cramped, but it will dramatically improve the flow into your home.

I've included a few different designs here. The first is very basic, keeps the sink where it is and, due to its position, doesn't allow you to continue the run of lower cupboards. Unless, of course, you want the sink in the corner. The second switches the sink's position, and I've worked it around a partition wall being built. The third is without the wall, but also with the sink moved. I believe that the sink needs to move slightly to have a good layout. I've included the product list for the more extensive layout as the first one is only a few different items. @redracer01 might be able to provide some alternate options.

Please let me know what you think and if I can make any adjustments. 

Mitchell

I've just re-read your post and realised you would like everything on one wall. Here's another version with that layout.

Laundnew5.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VanessaW
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc ! These options are great and give us lots to think about. I've considered a partition wall but would be concerned it would make the space feel a bit too cramped. Do you think it would be possible to hide the laundry behind some bifold doors or similar? Not sure how that might work with the window position.

Here's a photo from the entrance door to show the other wall as well in case that makes a difference to any of the suggestions!

IMG20210321185250.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Bifolds could potentially work and would leave the space feeling much more open than a partition wall @VanessaW.

Most bifolds are around 820mm wide and 410mm once folded. Depending on how much room there is between the door and the window, they might encroach slightly on the window. They would certainly be something worth considering. I'd suggest that the current width is potentially too large to span and some small partitions would need to be created on either side of the room to accommodate for this.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @VanessaW 

Below are my suggestions for your laundry. Perhaps a more compact presentation and a smaller pantry so that it's not so imposing when coming in to the house. I saw your plants by the window and encourage you to place more to give it that impression that it's not just a laundry. Adding accessories to the entrance of the house will at the very least  give it a more homelier look and not so utilitarian. Perhaps some picture frames, kettle and of course succulents. Using a unified theme when decorating the entry will give the room its own identity, for example using timber shoe racks and timber picture frames. Sometimes its the little details that make the difference.

Cheers,

Red

Vanessa Laundry1.jpgVanessa Laundry2.jpgVanessa Laundry3.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

VanessaW
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @redracer01, some great options here to really open up the space. 

One thing I forgot to mention, there's a raised concrete platform in the corner beneath the cupboard, where our hot water system used to be. Any ideas on how to hide this? E.g. would it be possible to assemble a pantry over it?  It measures approx 60cm X 70cm.

Thanks again!

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Hi there 

This is a wonderful space which has so much potential. A dream to work with! I don't have an idea to share but I do like the corner layout with the sink below the window. 

Beat of luck !

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @VanessaW,

Hopefully, @redracer01 can share his thoughts on whether the concrete platform can have cabinetry built over it.

The Kaboodle pantry we've both included is 600mm wide x 580 deep, so that would sit on top of it. If the platform is 600mm wide and 700mm out from the wall, that would be perfect, and the next base cabinet would sit next to it. Alternatively, if the platform is 700mm along the wall, the next cabinet would be forced to sit on that extra 100mm. However, with some custom work, I believe you could still build over it. A rebated cut-out would need to be made in the next base cabinets kickboard to accommodate the platform, and possibly the front left-hand leg moved over slightly.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @VanessaW 

My apologies for the late answer. Yes you can build over your cement platform. The legs to the base units and pantry are adjustable so you can have it at the correct height. As mentioned by @MitchellMc you just need to cut the kick board in to shape. The other option to hide it is to trim the platform with a steel chisel or an electric or air hammer. You may have to finish it off with some light cement rendering then coloring to the same finish as your floor. But if you plan to put on new flooring then you only need to flatten it. Please make sure to post your progress so that all our readers can see what you've decided to do.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

VanessaW
Cultivating a Following

This is great info, thanks @redracer01 and @MitchellMc for all the suggestions. I'll definitely keep the thread updated as I complete this project. Stay tuned!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects