Workshop
Ask a question

How close can insulation be to electrical cables in wall?

Sarahm
Just Starting Out

How close can insulation be to electrical cables in wall?

Hi

we are wanting it install insulation in our laundry

but are wondering how close can it be to electrical cables in the wall?

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: Insulation

Water piping can not be placed on the same wall as electrical is my understanding 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think in 1955 they didn't care about shared services, meter box, power points and light switch is on the kitchen wall that shares the sink taps at my place.

Bathroom is similar but laundry is seperate walls.

@BIM_Engineerwould probably know what clearance you need if we know what area you live in?

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Under the AS/NZS 3000 -2007which lays out the requirement for wireing have a look at this site http://www.build.com.au/distance-between-water-and-power-points it may help you

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Sarahm
Bradford Gold Batts  insulation in a timber stud wall should be OK as its an electrically non-conductive and non-flammable. Here is the technical Info

Gold Batts hth

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Sarahm,

It's great to see that you have already got such helpful replies to your first Workshop post. Let me extend a very warm welcome to the community. I trust that our members will provide plenty of information, advice and inspiration for many projects to come. Don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects