Workshop
Ask a question

Shower tile painting using Rust-Oleum

Chris_T
Having an Impact

Shower tile painting using Rust-Oleum

Completed project.Completed project.

Hi 

So this lockdown I've decided to repaint the tiles in my shower. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos and I know it can be tricky, so wanted to get some advice before I charge ahead. 

Firstly - I've read lots of stuff about using Rust-oleum Tub and Tile, but I can't figure out the difference between Tub and Tile and Tile Transformations? They seem to do the same thing...? 

Secondly, I'll be making sure those tiles are super clean before I begin (with a few passes of sugar soap), light sanding and final clean and dry. Is there anything else I need to do to prep the tiles/grout?

Just want to make sure I get this right the first time!

Thanks
Chris

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Preparations for shower tile painting

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Chris (@Chris_T). It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tile coatings.

The difference between the two products is that the Rust-Oleum Tile Transformations Tile Coating System is a textured finish and is suitable for shower stalls. The Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing Kit is a smooth finish and unsuitable for high humidity environments, including shower stalls.

You should find this technical data sheet for the Rust-Oleum Tile Transformations Tile Coating System useful as it includes preparation instructions.

The following is taken from the preparation instructions:

• Clean all surfaces thoroughly with a multi-purpose cleaner. Bleach is not recommended. Clean all grout lines with a stiff brush.

• There is a packet of cleaner included in this kit. Dampen the included scrub pad and sprinkle the cleaner over it. Scrub the entire shower stall to remove mould, dirt and soap scum. Thoroughly rinse down the area, ensuring all residue is gone. Repeat the cleaning until the tiles feel clean and have a smooth surface.

• Remove all silicone caulking inside the stall as the product will not adhere to it. This can be replaced after the painting is completed. Ensure you pay particular attention to any areas where the silicone could be smeared onto the tiles.

• Inspect the grout between the tiles for any cracks, chips or holes. Repair grout first by re-grouting severely damaged areas.

• Once cleaned, repaired and dried, remove any moveable fixtures. You can then tape off any adjacent walls with painter's tape.

There is no sanding process recommended before applying the Rust-Oleum Tile Transformations Tile Coating System.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I've completed the project and just thought I'd share some before and after pics! I used the Rust-Oleum and it has come out great!

IMG_6178 2 copy.jpg       IMG_6253 copy.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow, great result @Chris_T. Thank you so much for sharing some photos as I'm sure your handiwork will inspire others. It's certainly a popular project with the community.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Well done looks great :smile: 

Marshall
Cultivating a Following

@Jason Sorry to hijack this thread (will open a seperate one if needed) but I am looking at a similar project - only instead of a tiled shower I have a dated fiberglass shower cubicle I wanted to refresh in a clean white. And as you had recently provided very clear guidance regarding the products above I was hoping you might be able to recommend regarding what product would be best for this purpose ?

Many thanks in advance. 

Also nice work to the original poster. Looks like a nice job. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Marshall

Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your query about painting your fiberglass shower.

Painting a fiberglass shower is an involved process as the materials required need to bind to the surface of the fiberglass, and provide a tough durable surface for the base coat to adhere to. I recommend using a resin primer but I will need to get more information from the provider if the primer at the store is compatible with fiberglass. 

It is recommended to use acrylic polymer paint over the resin primer. The Rust-Oleum Tile Transformations Coating System is rated for tile use, and am not sure if it is suitable for fiberglass use. Let me make some inquires for you about which paint and primer are suitable for your shower. 

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Marshall 

I've just spoken to our providers and I'm sorry but the primers for the tiles are not compatible with fiberglass showers. I've also been informed that the paint will not work in a fiberglass shower environment. I'm so sorry but I currently don't have any products I can recommend for your fiberglass shower. I suggest considering replacing the fiberglass shower and tiling the area to give it a fresh new look. By tiling the shower in a white tile, you will probably need to re-grout once every five to seven years to give it a fresh new look. If you have any other projects we can assist with, please let us know.

Eric

Marshall
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the feedback - I was referring more to the second product the OP mentioned.  Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing KitI  Not the tile transformation paint. In the description the Tub and Tile refinishing states it can be applied to: ceramic, porcelain or fibreglass so it appeared it would be suitable for the application I just wanted to verify first. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Marshall

My sincerest apologies, I thought you were referring to the first product. The quick answer is yes! The Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing Kit is ideal to use on your fiberglass shower. My only recommendation when using this product is to make sure you have plenty of ventilation and to prep the area thoroughly as advised on the packet. If you need further assistance with your project, please let us know. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects