Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Preparing a shower floor for a shower base

Laurens
Building a Reputation

Preparing a shower floor for a shower base

There was a waterleak in the upstairs shower... The 2 layers of tiles have been taken up and the water damage traced and taken out.

The repaired section of the floor is slightly lower than the original floor so I want to know how to prepare the floor (so it is ready) to add a custom built base (yet to be ordered)

I am aware that waterproofing is essential and am adding timber to all the sides to help form "the tub"

Next after the timber sides will be cement sheet (which will be waterproofed)

Is it important to get the floor completely level or will the cement slurry provide the necessary base (after waterproofing?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Preparing a shower floor for a shower base

Hi @Laurens,

There is a smaller quantity of waterproofing, the Crommelin 1L Shower Waterproofing Membrane. It is a stand alone product so you will need to purchase the other items necessary to complete your waterproofing of the shower area. Please note that if you use the Crommelin product to make sure that you buy compatible items with the Crommelin waterproofing membrane. 

Please let us know if you need any more information.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Laurens
Building a Reputation

Screeding is close... I have added a wall shelf which necessitated removing a couple of old tiles, Ive added all the previously removed wall sections, scraped off old tile glues and the next step is to prime all the surfaces before applying the Crommelin Waterproofing and the reinforcing bandage. Then another 2 coats of waterproofing over that, then the screed..
Im obviously taking my time as there are other things that occupy my day.sealed then gluedsealed then glued

Laurens
Building a Reputation

Im still not able to load photos with the exception of the odd one that slips through.
I did get an email offering me an email address to send them to but I have lost that. Can I get that email address again pls?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Laurens

Thank you for sharing those project updates. Just a friendly reminder that when posting photos they must be either in jpg or png format. Please make sure to click on the upload images function at the bottom of the reply page and press done to apply the changes. Pasting or dragging the images into the reply page does not work. If you still have issues with posting pictures please let me know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Laurens,

Sorry for the trouble you are having with uploading photos. We are aware of a problem with iPad users being unable to upload photos and our team is trying to solve the issue. Are you using an iPad?

Feel free to email photos to workshop@bunnings.com.au and we can add them to your post for you. 

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

Laurens
Building a Reputation

I am using an iMac to update this site... But photos are a problem. The photos are in the jpeg format

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Laurens

Thank you for getting back to us and telling us the format of your pictures. You can send your photos here workshop@bunnings.com.au  and we will post them for you. As @Jason has mentioned there are issues with IPad users being unable to upload photos.

We look forward to seeing your photos.

Eric

Laurens
Building a Reputation

This photo is of the  19 mm Cement sheet which was added to raise the floor as well as prevent any opportunity for the yellow tongue, which will go on top, to bend or move.

1289CEAE-B7C2-450E-8A46-7EFDB5BF1937.jpeg

Yellow tongue with the countersunk flange installed. This is later screwed down to the floor joists.

9BE58DB4-0702-4E48-94EA-F1FE295B2B51.jpeg

Adding cement sheets to the walls.

0B620075-5ECB-4742-8FD0-AF4CC4C4F078.jpeg

Cement sheets added to the walls and joins filled in with Crommelin Silicon WP Plus.

912DF5AC-C91A-4450-8EEE-D66244CD7DFF.jpeg

Carefully cut the tiles to add a shelf.

582D96C1-98F3-4133-BF3E-09D70724D944.jpeg

Tile pieces removed and ready to fit the Shower Shelf.

05DFB8BB-30BC-467D-828C-2F38001FB7CE.jpeg

Glued the shelf in.

428DE81D-A63A-474E-B4EB-500133D6C264.jpeg

Taped up all the joints and applied Shelleys Flexiseal to the joints as well as using the remainder of the Flexiseal  to waterproof the yellow tongue.

Flexiseal is a very good adhesive and waterproofer but incredibly messy and hard to get off the hands and tools.

5C30C7FF-D48A-4F71-8CC0-5AEE1500261D.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for keeping us updated on your project @Laurens.

It's great to follow along and we're always happy to help along the way.

Stevie

Laurens
Building a Reputation

Waterproofing multiple times to make sure it wasn’t going to leak and now ready for tilingWaterproofing multiple times to make sure it wasn’t going to leak and now ready for tiling

Completed the shower and only the doors to hang

Tiling done. I did not use a screed to get the fall. I used the tile glue to get a fall to the drainTiling done. I did not use a screed to get the fall. I used the tile glue to get a fall to the drain

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects