Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Problems finding a solid base to suit an odd sized shower that Bunnings sell...

madmatt
Growing in Experience

Problems finding a solid base to suit an odd sized shower that Bunnings sell...

Basically, the question is if a shower is advertised as 920mm x 880mm and says it can work with shower bases, how do I find/match a base in that size?

I'm looking at purchasing the Mondella 2000 x 920 x 880mm Rococo Shower Screen, which is 920mm x 880mm. It says in the description "The Rococo shower screen is suitable for use with a shower base or tiled floor.", which sounds good as I'm looking to use it with a shower base.

The problem is that all the bases seem to be 900x900mm or sizes like that. I can't find any on the Bunnings site that's 920mm x 880mm and a quick search online didn't find much. Then I see in some places where the shower bases are supposed to be larger than the shower. So I'm a bit confused. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Problems finding a solid base to suit an odd sized shower that Bunnings sell...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @madmatt. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

The Mondella 2000 x 920 x 880mm Rococo Shower Screen will suit the Mondella 900 x 900mm White Resonance Square Shower Base. If you need an offset drain outlet, then the Mondella 900mm White Square Resonance Shower Base is also suitable. The shower screens full measurements are 830-920mm wide x 855-880mm deep, so they are within the requirements for a 900mm wide x 900mm deep shower base.

Do you have a bathroom renovation in the works? If you'd like to share it with us, I trust our members would be interested in following along with your progress.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
madmatt
Growing in Experience

Re: Problems finding a solid base to suit an odd sized shower that Bunnings sell...

Thanks Mitchell.

Yes, doing a bathroom reno for my mother, haven't got past the planning yet.
Thanks for your info, does that mean the sides of the shower get adjusted in length to make it 900x900mm, or how does it work? 
Can you please explain to me like I'm 5 years old how it fits - ie the 920mm, does it overhang the base, or does the length get moved in to be 900mm?

Does it fit all 900x900mm bases or only those particular ones?

Thanks for your help thus far!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @madmatt,

The shower frame is adjustable between 830-920mm wide x 855-880mm deep to suit most bases around a 900 x 900mm overall size. The most popular combination is with the Mondella 900 x 900mm White Resonance Square Shower Base. You could pair it up with other bases, but you'll need to ensure that it fits on their flat perimeter surface. I've outlined in red below the area where the screen needs to sit. The screen sits internally, so that is why it can be adjusted to be smaller than the outside dimension of the 900 x 900mm base.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

shower base.png

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @madmatt 

Just to add to your choices, have you thought about just putting the shower door assembly straight on to the tiled floor and do away with the tray all together? Unless of course this shower is on the second floor then yes I would recommend a tray, but if not and is on the main floor then it is a choice you can explore.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

madmatt
Growing in Experience

Thanks Red.

Yes that may be an option also.
Aiming for whatever is easiest to clean for my mother, I was thinking a base would be easier but perhaps not.
My understanding though is that there still needs to be another type of base underneath the tiles, just tiles and grout isn't enough. Is that your understanding?

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @madmatt,

Fantastic to see you getting helpful suggestions on your post.

Let me tag @redracer01 so he's alerted to your question.

Stevie

madmatt
Growing in Experience

This is the bathroom I'm trying to renovate on a budget.

We have what I initially thought was a reasonable amount to spend (about $10k), but seems that below the going rate that fully project managed bathroom people want to charge according to two quotes I got (Around $17k, even with fairly budget fittings and fixures).

So I'm looking into the option of project managing it myself and sourcing all the bits myself while using licensed trades for most of the main work (like tiling etc) that I'll book individually. Everything to be in the same place it is now, just new of course.

20210502_133620.jpg20210502_133612 - Copy.jpg20210502_133615 - Copy.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @madmatt,

Thanks so much for sharing more about your project. It's great to see these 'before' pictures so that our community can get an idea of what you're working with and offer ideas and advice along the way. 

Good on you for taking on the project managing role in this project. There are plenty of fantastic bathroom renovations by our members that are bound to bring inspiration for this space while you're in the planning phase.

@MitchellMc will be back on the site on Friday and will be more than happy to help with any extra questions you have then. I look forward to following along with this project and seeing what you come up with.

Stevie

Hello @madmatt 

Not necessarily, as I understand it you can lay it out as glue and tile only. But waterproofing the wet or shower area will be necessary and is not something that can be compromised on.  It should be much easier for your mother to go in and out of the shower as she does not have to walk over the plinth of the tray, something she could possibly trip on. As for the cleaning, it would be same with or without the tray. Just a reminder that should you decide to just tile it, please make sure to provide adequate fall for the water to drain out.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects