Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Problems finding a solid base to suit an odd sized shower that Bunnings sell...

madmatt
Growing in Experience

Problems finding a solid base to suit an odd sized shower that Bunnings sell...

Basically, the question is if a shower is advertised as 920mm x 880mm and says it can work with shower bases, how do I find/match a base in that size?

I'm looking at purchasing the Mondella 2000 x 920 x 880mm Rococo Shower Screen, which is 920mm x 880mm. It says in the description "The Rococo shower screen is suitable for use with a shower base or tiled floor.", which sounds good as I'm looking to use it with a shower base.

The problem is that all the bases seem to be 900x900mm or sizes like that. I can't find any on the Bunnings site that's 920mm x 880mm and a quick search online didn't find much. Then I see in some places where the shower bases are supposed to be larger than the shower. So I'm a bit confused. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Problems finding a solid base to suit an odd sized shower that Bunnings sell...

Hi @madmatt,

As @redracer01 has mentioned, it's not another tray that needs to go under the tiles but instead a waterproofing membrane. Were you having the area re-tiled? Once the tiles are removed, a waterproofer would paint a membrane on the floor before getting new tiles laid. The shower screen can then be placed directly on the tiles. Were you going to remove that plinth of tiles? Just bear in mind that you're creating quite a step up into the shower if you add the shower base on top of the plinth. I'd suggest removing the plinth, waterproofing and laying new tiles with the screen placed directly on them. As @redracer01 has mentioned, that will give the easiest access.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
madmatt
Growing in Experience

Re: Problems finding a solid base to suit an odd sized shower that Bunnings sell...

Thanks @redracer01 and @MitchellMc 

Had more chats with mum, new plan is to go for a tiled base as you have both suggested. Will get the waterproofing professionally done, that's a must for sure, can't compromise on that.

Yes, all will be retiled, and will be removing that "plith" for sure, I didn't know that was what it was called but it certainly has to go.

I took mum down to Bunnings Albury last night for a look at bathroom stuff, and with showers we looked at an 8mm glass one from the brand Rick McLeans, it felt so much more sturdy than the other 6mm glass ones and cheaper brands so even though there is a budget we will go for something like that. I took a photo of the tag but can't find it on the website for some reason so not sure if it's still current - it was labelled I/N 4890311 and barcode 9329806002447

Regarding baths, came across a new problem. We want a freestanding bath (ideally corner type), but most of the baths seem to be a lot higher than the one she's used to, which is a drop in type, and only 460mm high. All the ones from Bunnings seemed to be at least around 570mm high, and that extra 110mm is hard for her to get over. I did find one from an online retailer that is 1500mm long and 510mm high which we might go for, but if there was anything 510mm high or less at Bunnings that I've missed I'd love to know, as I'd be paying a couple hundred dollars delivery on this other one from a business I hadn't come across before. I know there are those cool "Walk in" types, but at around $6k we unfortunately can't afford that. She doesn't use the bath often but does want to be able to when she wants.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @madmatt,

I apologise for you not being able to locate that product on our webpage as it is currently out of stock with the supplier. We are likely to see stock of that Rick Mclean's shower screen in-store at the beginning of June.

As you've seen, 460mm high for a freestanding bath is exceptionally low. Let me mention @redracer01 to see if he's ever come across something like that. Having a look at our range, it appears the D'LUCCI 1715 x 825 x 535mm Free Standing Bath at 535mm tall would be the lowest, followed by the Forme 1450mm Rubix Freestanding Bath at 560mm.

Mitchell

madmatt
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc for your info.

I think we might wait for the shower, start of June isn't too far away and I'll likely still be planning then. We were very happy with that one when we saw it, it was super sturdy and looked really well made.

Looks like the one I found elsewhere at 510mm will be the best bet, not expecting to get as low as 460mm but just closer to it. The 535mm high one is too long anyway and a bit out of budget, and the other doesn't work for various reasons. I know that probably isn't ideal to say on a Bunnings forum, but I'll certainly be buying lots of other bits at Bunnings! :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

This is a D.I.Y. community forum for sharing projects and inspiration, and there is no expectation that you solely use Bunnings products @madmatt. The primary concern here is that your mother can safely get in and out of the bath, and it sounds like you have found a fantastic solution.

I can't wait to see your project coming together. Please let us know if you have questions along the way.

Mitchell

Hello @madmatt 

Here's a suggestion for a shower with no frame at all and allows your mum to go in with nothing to trip on. The wall of course is built so that a grab rail can be mounted making it super extra safe for your mum to enter the bath and another one near her to allow her to stand. The Caroma classic island bath is only 450mm in height. Soap and shampoo nooks so that there will be no need to buy rusting shower caddies. Your choice of vanity and tapware of course. I only placed a possible budget for the materials.

Cheers,

Red

maddmatt.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects