Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace bathroom door handle?

Neo19
Making a Splash

How to replace bathroom door handle?

IMG_20200417_095728.jpgIMG_20200417_095822.jpgIMG_20200417_095835.jpgIMG_20200417_095840.jpgIMG_20200417_095916.jpgIMG_20200417_115720.jpgHi on the other day my Gainsborough 100 series G4 passage leverset stopped working and had to cut open the latch after someone got locked in.

I have removed leverset and trying to remove latch however unable to remove square drive spindle. (Apologies if the terminologies used are not correct - guess work after going through product installation guide).

Tried pullingit, twisting it and even gently tapping with hammer!) 

Any suggestions please!!!!

IMG_20200417_095916.jpg

IMG_20200417_095840.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing bathroom door handle

Hi @Neo19. I apologise for the delay in my reply to your question, as I have been waiting for clarification.

The manufacturer advises removing the black rubber 'O' ring which in on the spindle. Presumably, that will allow the spindle to slide through the latch mechanism.

Please let us know if that fixes the issue for you. If it doesn't I'm happy to look into the issue further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc  thanks a lot for your prompt response. It worked like a charm.

Can't believe I didn't even notice the black ring before! :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neo19.

I'm glad to be able to help with the situation.

If there is anything else I can be of assistance with, please let me know.

Mitchell

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Hi Guys...

I am trying to replace the current Gainborough Privacy G4 handle so that I can use it in another room. I notice the block "O" ring but have not been able to get it out.!!  What is the best and easiest way to remove that "O" ring so that I can get the spindle out.!!!

Cheers

Julius

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Julius (@Jolly181). It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

Let me mention @Neo19 to see if they found an easy way to remove the "O" ring. I'd imagine a Craftright 8 Piece Mini Pick And Driver Set would be useful to pry it out. You could possibly use a pin or needle to get under it and lift it out of the groove.

Please let me know how you go or if you have questions.

Mitchell

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell...

Will give it ago in the next day or so... We now have Easter visitors so will be busy with that for a while..

Will get back to you ASAP..

Cheers

Julius

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Julius (@Jolly181),

Have you managed to remove the O ring as yet? I trust our members will be interested to know the method that worked for you.

Please let me know if you're still having issues.

Mitchell

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell...

We have just had our grandkids staying with us and they only left this morning..

I will be looking into it the next couple of days though

back soon

@Jolly181  hi sorry about the delay. What @MitchellMc suggested should work.

From memory, I have used a precision screw driver with pin tip because I had it with me. 

Any narrow strong implement would have worked in my case as once you insert it between the O ring and the spindle, you could easily remove the ring as it was very much pliable. Sorry if my explanation isn't clear enough.

Once I got the tool the whole task took barely seconds, it's that easy!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects