Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shower Filter

innyinny
Finding My Feet

Shower Filter

Hi guys :smile: 

I was wondering if anyone had any stories about installing a shower filter? We're thinking of putting one in our bathroom but don't know if we should DIY or get someone to do it.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Shower Filter

@Janina_G

So glad that you had a great week, but sorry about your immune woes to Fluoride.

Chlorine is easy, & comes standard in Whole of House, but Reverse Osmosis doesn't (unless you're cool with handing them $8000).

All is not lost though, I' didn't mention it before because I assumed that Fluoride in your drinking water was all that mattered, but there are Activated Alumni cartridges that will do the job. Only thing is, I couldn't find any details like cartridge size & flow rate on the site. : (

If you give them a call, they'll steer you right, & it'd be great if you could post here what they suggest, because Fluoride is particularly nasty stuff.

Good luck

John

Good morning Andy_Mann,

Thank You,   Will have to ring on Monday,  as closed today,  so will ask and post back here.

Now I am off to celebrate albeit reluctantly...  Just got told we are going out tonight to Celebrate birthdays,  Mine is Monday, Nephew is Tues [coming down from QLD]  Neice his sister Thu,  So my "baby" bro,  has organised a night out to celebrate,  As Neice's Hubby taking her away for weekend.  

Now will have to go walking off all the Asian food this week LOL..  after I look for small bathroom basin at Bunnings.  They are open... So here goes :smile:

Have a great weekend

Blessings and thanks

Janina

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Janina_G

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETHEART : )

Thanks Andy_Mann,

LOL,  I rang the co,  and they can help with Chlorine for house  but not Flouride,  no waterflow.

Did say that if I used tank water it could be done,  but recommended cement tank no PVC,  

I had never heard of PVC,  was thinking about metal tank.  no real info on that.

So now to look for cement tank - if they still make them.  

If I had a 5000 ltr tank it would cost $300 for unit and  $30 year for filter and $75 every 5 years for embryo

From what I understood - and its my birthday  :smile:  they can do house for chlorine fo 500 and kitchen fluoride $570,   so if I understood correctly,  I would be better getting a water tank as cheaper to run,  also less in water bills,  and my garden will love me.....????

So now off to look for cement tanks and cost them or find a second hand metal one....

Thanks again,   had a great day,  doing what I wanted,  exactly nothing.

We had a birthday outing on Sat as neices birthday on 9, Nephew on 7,  so  partied then and did what I wanted today....

Have a geat week.

Janina

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Janina_G

I'm glad that you had the Birthday that you wanted, & I might be able to build on your day.

The "Whole of House" will deal with the Chlorine, we all agree on that.

If I'm understanding what he said about the water tank, I think he's saying to use it as a ready supply of Reverse Osmosis treated water to remove spontaneous surges of water useage, as Reverse Osmosis on its own has a dismal flow rate. Good idea.

Thing is, you could run your rain water (no Fluoride) into it as well, which will lessen the load on the Reverse Osmosis media & membrane, saving you more money.

Oh, & a metal tank will be fine.

Pop the bubblie kid.

Hi Andy,   You got it,

Only thing i wasnt clear on was that the rain tank would be rain water,  apart from when I need to top up with town,  if we have a drought etc...

so now to find a reasonable tank.... I think the biggest cost will be the stand as the higher it is the better he said..... so I want one of those slim line so I can put on east and west walls so that will also keep the house cooler in summer and warmer in winter,  and if I plan it right and paint the right colour it  will almost we warm when it hit the hot water.....  Will also get a tank for shed  so no more town water...

BUT wait,  have to finish renos first.....but i am learning

NOW I AM GOING TO BED,,,  need the rest to work tomorro

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Janina_G, it's been a while since we chatted about your health troubles with mains water, so I thought you might be interested in my latest find.

It's pricy, but it does everything that you want, & has good water flow rate (unlike Reverse Osmosis systems), so I'm pretty excited about it. :bigsmile:

Whole House Fluoride & Chlorine Removal Water Filtration System Complete with Hard Water Protection ...

Hi Any_Mann,

Have been busy renovating,  and slowly.

I have also been checking,  but will have a looky see.

Thanks to the vaccination lies,  I found out the borax, and a few other ingredient added to drinking water flush the fluoride and chlorine out,  also having bath not shower also helps,  it has been an interesting time..... but will follow up and see,  the unit was is easier....

so more research for me  LOL

Blessings

Janina

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects