Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix a shower door that won't shut?

Wouldy
Making a Splash

How to fix a shower door that won't shut?

My glass screen shower door will not shut. You really have to slam it hard. It is getting annoying and I want to fix it. Im not sure what the issue is as it never used to be this bad. It did used to get a tiny bit stuck but I would just pull a little bit harder and it would close. I moved in here 6 months ago and I reckon without me noticing it really, it got worse. 

I can't work out the issue. There is a piece of rubber at the bottom of the shower screen in the corner. Then a piece where the door would usually sit in once shut. The issue is that rubber piece is not going over that frame. It is almost like the rubber has slipped down from the top causing an overbite. 

Does anyone know what the issue is and how I fix it please? IMG20210115172104.jpgIMG20210115172119.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shower door issue. Need to fix it.

Hi @Wouldy,

Perhaps the rubber has hardened over time and needs to be replaced? Removing a tiny amount of the rubber with scissors or a blade might prevent it from binding up. Could you upload an image of the door partially closed when the rubber binds upon the frame, as that might give us a better idea of what's going on?

Let me mention @redracer01 and @TedBear to see if they had some other ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Wouldy 

Any chance it might be the hinges and the door has slipped from it's grip causing it to tilt and go out of alignment? It sounded like a progressive fault. Can you possibly take a photo of the whole door? It would give us a better idea of its current state. See if you can tilt it back, if you can then it sounds like it needs a bit of tightening. 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@MitchellMc 

I took a really good look at it last night. I figured it has something to do with the rubber down the bottom edge  which is in my prior photos. It is a bit loose but the one on top is tight as. Taking a partial bit of the rubber off may be the answer. I can get the photo you requested. 

@redracer01 

I thought about that but I checked it all and I do not think that is the cause. Screws and hinges are pretty intact and do not think the door is out of alignment. I think it is more possible it is what @MitchellMc has spoken about. 

@MitchellMc @redracer01 

I took a photo of the issue as requested. The black plaster C part at the bottom is what is not going over the bar so the door fits into the slot. It is not that loose that it slides down so far but it is loose. 

IMG20210117065408.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Wouldy,

When that corner of a door is catching on a bottom rail, it is normally a sign that the door is sagging as per @redracer01's comment. It could be the top hinge is loose, or the frame is coming away from the wall. When you lift the door up and over the rail, check to see where the looseness is coming from.

Removing the black plastic might be a simple bandaid fix.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc @redracer01 

Thanks @MitchellMc  Apologies @redracer01 

you were correct. Now that I know the issue, I will pass on to my landlord. It's his job to sort that. Thank you. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects