Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Using tile paint on a bathroom floor

kim00
Getting Established

Using tile paint on a bathroom floor

We are always trying to do things on a budget, sometimes it works, sometimes it goes over. But we love to do things to the house & as you all know it is never ending when you start.

I want to revamp my bathroom without replacing boring tiles. The white Knight video was all ok for the walls but I want to know will it work on the floor. I have a horrible sage green small square tile (20cm x 20cm) on the floor & its been there 20 odd years & it is so boring. So I would like to paint it. Will the White Knight Tile Paint work for the floor?? Also what would you seal it with so it wouldn't be slippery. Thanks

Hac
Finding My Feet

Re: Using tile paint on a bathroom floor

I know it says this one was resolved. However, I successfully painted toilet floor tiles. I can't stress enough how important the prep is. Use the tile cleaner spray. Undercoat or prime with whitknight primer. I'll add a photo of this. Also to my knowledge currently the only paint that works on floor tiles is rustoleum milk paint. There is a sealer, however I was not game to use this in case it made the flooring slippery. After my 2 coats of milk paint I was so happy with the result. To be honest, even if it does eventually chip it will still look better than brown 70's mosaic tiles. Also, I still have half a can of paint so could always do another coat. Almost forgot, drying time  is ultra important. T

Screenshot_20210809-015940_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210809-020322_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210809-020336_Gallery.jpg

he longer you leave it the better. It seems to harden or something. So, I recommend painting the floor before you go away for a few days.

Jesse1
Having an Impact

Yes, painting horizontal surfaces isn’t normally the best long term solution. Vertical surfaces (cupboard doors and wall tiles) seems to get the best result. We had a hideous burgundy colour floor tile in our main bathroom and a navy blue in the ensuite and decided to tile over tile. This is the second house where we have done this and the result is perfect. 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for jumping into this discussion and sharing your thoughts @Hac and @Jesse1

The floor looks fantastic @Hac and I'm sure your advice will be helpful for others looking to give a similar project a go.

Welcome,

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects