Workshop
Ask a question

How to design laundry and shower room?

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

How to design laundry and shower room?

20220723_151639.jpg

Hi Everyone

Newest member here and needing some help on storage and layout ideas as looking to DIY the laundry and shower. 

Laundry/ pet room and shower are in a dark area next to the garage and we recently relocated the water tank into the garage.

This area needs some TLC as we've moved in not long ago and on a small budget too.

Laundry/ pet area ideas:

*Wooden bench top 800cm wide

*Front loader + dryer under bench

*Subway tiles or flat splashback

* White cupboards top and bottom

* one tall cupboard if possible for brooms, mop and ironing board

*Sink and tapware remain in the same area

*Space to put pet food tub

Shower ideas:

*Single glass screen on right side about 800-900cm length

*White rectangular wall tiles

*Tapware and shower head remain in the same area

20210314_201708.jpg

20210314_201752.jpg

  

20210314_201745.jpg

20210314_201800.jpg

The DIY stuff we will be doing include;

*Removing and installing floor and wall tiles

*Painting lexicon half walls and ceiling white paint

*Installed downlights and patched old lighting hole

*Sheeting the brick walls with villaboard

Biggest thank you in advance!! Hoping to get started during Easter break 😃

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to design laundry and shower room

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @julzdiy. It's amazing that you've joined us and many thanks for sharing your project.

I'm just working on a layout for your area. Could you please let me know the overall length of the room, including the shower? I can see the shower is currently 1.2m and then you have another measurement of 2.7, is the room 3.9m long? Or, is that 2.7m length to the edge of the door?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
julzdiy
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc thank you for your quick response.

I drew this to my best ability of the room including doors, which are different sizes to the door frame. Correction with the wall width is 1.48m. I hope this helps.

Thank you again!

20210315_120528.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for those additional details, @julzdiy.

To clarify, working off the left-hand side measurements, we have 2755mm, 830mm and 1030mm? So, the total length from wall-to-wall is 4615mm?

Mitchell

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc sorry it's 2790mm, 830mm and 1030mm 😅

Right side should 2310mm, 920mm and 1420mm

Total wall is 4650mm

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for your patience, @julzdiy.

I've put this together for you using Kaboodle cabinetry. Hopefully, it encompasses most of what you were looking for. 

Please let me know if there were any adjustments you'd like made.

Mitchell

1.png

2.png3.png4.png

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc thank you so much!! Absolutely love the design! 

Will have a proper look in store on the products and will let you know if I have any more questions. 

Thanks again for your quick turnaround!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please reach out if you need any assistance and keep us updated on your progress, @julzdiy. We're here to help.

Mitchell

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

***update as of 10 December 2021***

It's been a long time since my last post and there were some set backs due to lockdown.

Here's an update of things done

*Sheeted the laundry walls

* relocated the sink plumbing

*leveled the laundry and bathroom floors to the same as the toilet.

*Waterproofed wet areas

I now need help with the re-designing of the kaboodle cabinets as after sheeting the walls, I realised there's more potential space for storage on the left side (1380mm wall) and extend to all wall cabinets on top (2660mm wall).

Questions:

*Does kaboodle make a wider bench top like 650mm for additional room for plumbing and cover the washer& dryer??

* Can the height of the base cabinet adjust to 900mm tall?

*What base cabinet can fit the Everhard Nuglean 45L sink? (W475mm X H230mm X L635mm) or similar size sink?

20211210_102702.jpg

Progress pics

*Laundry

20211210_091758.jpg

*Shower

20211210_091746.jpg

I really appreciate your help and hopefully finish before Christmas! 

Cheers,

Julzdiy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @julzdiy

Thank you so much for posting the laundry updates. It's great to see that you've made so much progress. Let me try and answer some of your questions about your laundry.

• Yes, you can custom order a benchtop at 650mm in depth. Some washing machines have provisions at the back to allow the inlet hose to be positioned flat against the back, allowing you to push the machine against the wall.
  • Yes, you can adjust the height of the cabinetry to 900mm, however, the consequence of this is that you will have to custom cut a kickboard at 170mm and you will have to order a multi-purpose panel custom-sized to cover the side of the laundry.  Most washing machines usually have a height of 860mm, but if you have a larger unit then you will have to build the cabinets to that size.

You mentioned that you wanted to use the other side of your wall 1380mm. Unfortunately, Kaboodle doesn't have a pantry sized at 730mm, the closest one is 600mm in size. If you were to install it on the 1380mm side, there wouldn't be enough space to place a cabinet beside it because of the washer and dryer. It's like a domino effect, whenever we move a cabinet, it directly affects the size and position of the rest of the cabinets in the run.

If you were to compromise the size of your laundry tub and get the smallest one, such as the Everhard 23L Classic Round Sink. You'll be able to fit this into a Kaboodle 450mm Base Cabinet. This will allow you to place a Kaboodle 900mm White Corner Base Cabinet in the corner. But it will reduce the size of your pantry down to 450mm. Putting a blind corner base cabinet is not an option as there is not enough space for it.

The compromise is to keep the 800 base cabinet and you get to keep your Nugleam tub. Move the pantry in line with the rest of the cabinet. This gives you maximum storage space and full use of the available space without having gaps in the run. I've placed some sketches below for you to have a look at. Please tell me what you think. I suggest visiting your local store and speaking to the In-Store Kitchen Expert. Show them the proposed layout. They will possibly be able to offer you another alternative to your laundry layout. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects