Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair hole in drywall from ripped out towel rail?

bect73
Cultivating a Following

How to repair hole in drywall from ripped out towel rail?

Hi could someone please suggest my best option for fixing holes in drywall after towel rail was ripped out . I’m not sure if mesh tape will work or cutting a hole and using patch is the better option. Toggle anchors were ripped through drywall as my Dad in his late 70’s lost his balance stepping out of shower. I have a stud finder so I can screw into those as well as use the toggle anchors where there is no stud. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repair hole in drywall from ripped out towel rail

Hi @bect73,

You'll need to chip away and remove any plaster that is proud of the wall's surface. Since the plaster has been pulled out, it will be difficult to patch the area unless it is returned to a flat surface. 

This Poly Wall Repair Kit is useful, as it includes your plaster, a patch, sandpaper and a filling blade. That's all you need to perform the repair. Check the helpful step-by-step guide I've included below. They are using a very similar method to that of the kit.

I'd suggest relocating the rail to a different location.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bect73
Cultivating a Following

Re: how to repair hole in drywall from ripped out towel rail

Thank you for your help. I will check out the “how to video” if I run into any trouble I will send you a msg. Thanks again for your help Bec 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects