Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

sink taps

Krusty
Cultivating a Following

sink taps

G,day spanner turners my bathroom taps have been over reamed and I can’t seem to explain to Bunnings staff the name of needed part,spindle and washers are all fine it’s the seat inside the tap that’s worn,have tried replacement sleeves these don’t work in this instance,please help kids are sick of brushing their teeth in the kitchen,cheers Krusty.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sink taps

Hi @Krusty,

Were the sleeves you used something like Kinetic 12mm Push In Tap Seats? This is what you would use if you're having difficulty reaming the tap seat flat. When you say the tap seats have been over-reamed it sounds like they are flat, but the washer no longer makes contact as the seat is too deep. If this is the case, you could try installing a HydroSeal Tap Seat Replacement Kit as this kit has threaded seats.

I believe installing ceramic disc tap spindles could solve this issue if the seats are in good shape, just out of reach. The spindles on these have an outer nut which is adjusted up and down, allowing the spindle body to contact the seat. They have a lot more adjustability than the older style spindles in regards to the depth at which they make contact with the seat. They'll still only adjust 10mm but this might be enough to solve the issue.

You install them by removing the outer nut/cover flange threaded section and then screwing the tap body down until the seal meets the tap seat. The outer nut is then screwed onto the tap body. Hopefully, once you have screwed the tap body in, you'll still have enough thread exposed to screw the outer nut onto it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Krusty
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell they were the push in Kinetic sleeves,the original seat I think were reamed too far with the smallest tool as there are 2 sizes and now the seal becomes stuck in the recess but does not seal properly and there seems to be a break in the seat creating a channel for water to leak,I will try your suggested seal kit but can replace the bottom body if I have some direction with what to replace with,Great response,Krusty.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A crack in the seat sounds like a bit of an issue, and I'm not sure whether a replacement tap seat would fix that @Krusty. I believe the water will try to migrate around the seal and through the crack.

Please let us know how you go and if you decide to go down the path of replacing the lower tap body.

Mitchell

Krusty
Cultivating a Following

Cheers Mitchell any links to suitable tap ware would be greatly appreciated I am having a hard time finding it on the shelf,a little overwhelming,Krusty.

Hello @Krusty 

As mentioned by @MitchellMc this kit should be sufficient to fix the existing damage to the seats by creating a new thread for the new seats to travel on.

Red

Screenshot_2021-02-15 HydroSeal Tap Seat Replacement Kit.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Krusty,

The copper piece that the spindle screws into is called a breech. It is likely to be similar to a Brassheads WELS 3 Star Forward Bowl Sink Set With 165mm Spout for a basin.

Mitchell

Krusty
Cultivating a Following

Cheers Mitchell I’ve been looking and asking for replacement taps this clears up the confusion for me and the Bunnings worker I will take measurements to be sure and head straight down for this purchase, thanks a lot Krusty.

Krusty
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell.

A7421A64-8537-4BD7-85F0-3C91EAD09CC4.jpeg

Krusty
Cultivating a Following

G,day Mitchell,Taps from underneath are 200mm apart?maybe older set,Krusty.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects