We started by building the two side six shelf units.
We created a plinth by cutting the yellow tongue to size and making some legs from the structural Pine. These were attached by nailing and screwing down through the yellow tongue.
We then cut the sides of the two four drawer units in half and assembled them into four units: two sets of drawers and two shelf units which we screwed onto the top of the six shelf units.
After this, we screwed everything into wall studs to secure. We then cut down the Beech Panel for the desktop and attached it to the structure.
Next we took the last 6 shelf unit and cut it vertically on the table saw to create two slimmer units. We used some melamine to create the missing side on each and nailed and glued together.
We then added Easycraft VJ panelling to the wall, screwing and nailing into studs.
Next we added trim around the base, base of the slim units and fronts of all the shelves and verticals. We also added cornice to the top and a shaker style profile to the drawers.
We filled with wood filler and allowed to dry for 24 hours before sanding with a foam sanding block
Next we taped and sheeted off the room so we could spray the unit with BIN Zinsser Shellac Primer. We used two coats, sanding lightly between.
Then we sprayed Dulux Aquanamel in White Beach Half. It took two coats, plus a few touch ups, sanding between each.
Here's the final result.
We had a great time building this, with not too many unexpected surprises, as it was a similar process to the mudroom we built last year. The hardest part was probably painting, getting the right primer for laminate and getting the coverage we wanted. But lots of research and sanding with fine grit sanding blocks gave us a great result.
I'd seen people repurpose flat pack bookshelves into office storage, so I thought it would be a pretty easy way and cheap way to make a home office that we could customise to our space. I also loved the depth of the shelves of using wardrobe units. Two weekends were a big effort but we had fun.