Workshop
Ask a question

Patio extension with low-level deck

maccifo
Cultivating a Following
maccifo
maccifo
Cultivating a Following

Attaching a low-level deck to an existing patio helped to increase the size of this outdoor entertaining area.

20210117_165847.jpg

The project

I built a low-level deck as an extension to our patio. The dimensions are approximately 6m x 1.15m. The height of the deck is around 400–500mm and I made sure to create a small gap between the tiled patio and deck for airflow.

I built three frames using 90 x 45cm treated Pine so that I can move them around myself.

20201229_094806.jpg

I installed threaded rods into the bricks to attach the frames to the patio, placing a fixing into the edge of the patio at least every metre.

20201231_102641.jpg

20210102_161225.jpg

The end result.

20210117_165847.jpg

How to build a low-level deck

A low-level deck can pose a range of potential design and installation problems, with particular challenges around ventilation, drainage, termites and rotting. But it doesn't have to be a difficult project once you take the time to understand the basics of how they are put together.

Experienced Bunnings Workshop member Adam Woodhams has created a comprehensive guide to building your own low-level deck which should provide an excellent reference for getting started. 

More inspiration for your deck

Whether you are building a new deck or rejuvenating an existing one, get inspired by the clever and creative Bunnings Workshop community in our Top 10 most popular deck projects.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects