Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Beginner advice - what tools do I need?

theskywaspink
Growing in Experience

Beginner advice - what tools do I need?

Hi all,

I've been a reader for a while but not posted anything.

It's been a long time since I've touched any power tools for a lengthy time, but still quite capable and can remember how to do most stuff once I've got them in my hand.

Unfortunately I've had to give up playing cricket on the weekends as the body won't take it anymore, and I'm looking to start building some furniture. The last time I did that was high school (late 90s) and the occasional piece I've picked up off Gumtree and done a bit of pulling apart things, sanding, fixing, polishing/oil etc.

I'm looking to replace all the flat pack crap in my house, entertainment unit, computer desk, and also replace my kitchen table and coffee table (coffee table is solid tassie oak, but that can go back to my parents).

Nothing overly complicated, I'll likely be using some reclaimed Oregon and/or Jarrah.

But I'm a bit baffled as to where to start on what tools I might need. I can buy them as I need them, I already have a workbench, a Ryobi drill, and general hand tools.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Beginner advice - what tools do I need?

Thanks for that @ProjectPete, I had a moment and turns out I have a Makita anyway :smile:

I figured I would need some clamps and have most of that stuff, but I wasn't sure on what type of saw I'd need. I'd probably take the Circular over a drop saw to start.

theskywaspink
Growing in Experience

@Jason Unfortunately, I'm not even at an age to be in a vets team! I was diagnosed with a chronic illness in 2016 and basically a One Day match means 3 weeks of recovery before I could play another. So I've had to pull the pin, even though I've had 25 years playing. My knees, hips, back and shoulders are all done! haha, so this will be taking up the 8 hours on a Saturday more than likely, and I can do it when it rains too.

That link looks good, I'll bookmark it and refer to it!

theskywaspink
Growing in Experience

@Brad My old man has a biscuit joiner and offered me to borrow it, so it will be the likely solution.

I will more than likely start off with just some simple slabs in a glass finish, and hairpin legs. Most of it will be oregon and then some jarrah strips between to break it up and make it pop. So I won't be using heaps of it, just something to give it a bit of contrast and feature. Cheers for the advice on the clamps too!

JBan26
Just Starting Out

I've recently just finished setting up my DIY car repair garage and if you're looking for general tools for car repair or anything related, you can check out the list of tools from Dig My Ride which I also used as a reference for stocking up on tools. They might be applicable for general work also so you might wanna check it out.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JBan26. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

That certainly sounds like something many of our members would be interested in seeing. Would you like to share some images of your new DIY car repair garage as I'm sure it is very impressive? Do you only work on your own car or are you restoring anything?

We look forward to hearing more about your new project and what you have going on around your home and garden. We'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share with the community. I trust you find loads of inspiration to keep improving your garage space from within the community as our creative members are contributing their ideas here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects