Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. workbench

Baggs
Having an Impact

D.I.Y. workbench

20190727_164336.jpgHey hey.

After the shed was finished I needed a work bench.

After a lot of searching on the net I found the basic design I was after and went from there. A few scetchs later I came up on the final design.

I used 90x35 pine for the frame and 19mm ply for the tops mainly because I was able to get it for nothing off on old employer.

Was easy to knock up with a nail gun and bagels.

Here is a few pics.

Its nearly too nice to use as a work bench. 

20190720_125013.jpg

20190720_130248.jpg

20190720_132614.jpg

20190720_140116.jpg

20190721_120457.jpg

20190727_164336.jpg

Cheers

Re: D.I.Y. workbench

Yes - planning on building a workbench, thought rather than re-invent the wheel I would look for some dimensions and ideas from others.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@RobHarris,

While we are waiting to see if @Baggs can answer your question I thought I would mention there is a similar workbench with instructions on our website. There is a D.I.Y. portable workbench which could have the back section attached like Baggs version and there is no need to add the wheels.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

hello, sorry for taking a while to reply.

i can really remember and cant measure it atm.

iv just done a rough drawing of what i remember.

cheers

kyle bench.jpg

abhayks
Having an Impact

Looks so good. 

Hoady
Finding My Feet

Hi @Baggs - thats awesome stuff - did you put any reinforcing across the back of the pegboard? - your design is tops and I'm looking to build something similar for my new shed, but my current work benchs board went down hill really quick after about a year - that being said it was a kit and there wasn't a lot of support accross the top section.

Thanks!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

For inside I have half a Costco shelving unit to put up as a bench for resin casting, 19mm melamine top that I have a piece of old signage from our shop that I will cut down for a bit of protection, I just view the top as sacrifical, edges are supported but there is nothing in the middle, flat and level rather than strength is the aim of this set up. It's a room Not My Wife pretends doesn't exist, she is fine with shopping trips for wood and tools and the finished product, it's the middle part she don't like and the white towels that get brown stains from wood...

I have a bench from Supercheap Auto that I replace the MDF top with some left over Ekodeck that  just dropped in, it works for light duty.

Assembly bench is made from countertop material, I just need to put some legs on it instad of sitting it on my portable Kreg tables.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome @Hoady. It's wonderful to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community.

Fantastic to see that you've already received a reply from @Brad about his set up. 

You may also want to check out this step-by-step guide: How to build a workbench. You'll see in step three that @Peggers suggests adding a piece of Pine in the middle of the backing structure, so that the pegboard doesn’t bow in the middle.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Baggs
Having an Impact

Hi @Hoady,

I didnt put any reinforcing on the back of the pegboard. I didnt feel it needed any.

I just use this bench to tinker at. iv just finished the shed at our new place so will be making a bigger unit for that one.

Adrianno
Building a Reputation

Hey @Baggs awesome work on this bench, and appreciate the nice detailed pics of the build that help others piece it together so to speak.

I am building a workbench which is now going to be quite similar to yours as it's really inspired me (minus the back and pegboard, and with retractable casters for mobility). Just a few Qs if you're around mate.

I see you added a double plank of 90x35 on the legs and in other areas, was that purely cosmetic or did you find you needed it for structural support on the legs?

Also just wondering where you used the nails? Was that just for securing the Ply? As it looks like mainly bugels for the frame joints.

Hi @Adrianno. I'm glad it has helped so many people out.

I just added 90x35 to some areas for purely for cosmetics really.

I wouldn't usually use the nail gun for something like this. I just had it available to me so I made use of it.

It was used to do the main framing part of the build. once it was all together a just run a bugle into each joint for more strength.

For the bench top I just used screws to hold it in spot.

Hope this all helps and good luck with your build.

Cheers

Kyle

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects