Workshop
Ask a question

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
koshie
Getting Established

bunnings cut timber to siE

Can Bunnings cut hardwood sleepers 200 x 50 to size for me. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: bunnings cut timber to siE

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @koshie. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

Were these sleepers that you already have or that you will be purchasing from a store? Because of the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores. 

I'll reach out via PM to get further details on your local store to verify that they can cut sleepers there.

Mitchell

RosangelaKarina
Just Starting Out

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Hi there Mitchell, I am able to get *honeycomb* internal doors cut?

Re: Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RosangelaKarina. It's amazing that you have joined us, and many thanks for your question.

Internal doors have their outside skins held in place with glue and pin nails, making them unsuitable to be cut on our saws. When cutting doors down yourself, remember there is only so much of the solid pine frame that can be removed before you hit the honeycomb. If you need to cut the door down significantly, you can either take half the amount off the top and the other off the bottom or move the bottom pine frame further up the door and re-insert it.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

andrewburridge
Finding My Feet

Docking saw

What size blade is used on the docking saw at Alexandria. Thanks in advance.

Re: Docking saw

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @andrewburridge. It's fabulous that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

The docking saw at Alexandria Bunnings uses the same size blade featured on most of our saws across our stores. Was there a particular question you had in regards to our docking service? Perhaps you'd like to know what type and size of timber we can cut? You might find this guide useful: Does Bunnings cut wood to size? 

Please let me know if you specifically wanted details on the blade's size, and I can do my best to find out that information for you.

Mitchell

I should have been more specific in my question. I am after the thickness (kerf) of the blade. 

The thickness or kerf of the blade is very close to 3mm @andrewburridge. For every cut placed in the piece of timber, 3mm is lost due to the blade's kerf. There can be a variance of between 3-5mm on cuts, and we also have a minimum cut length of 300mm.

Mitchell

I fathomed a guess of 3mm. As it were the offcuts well and truly cover that. Thanks for your time. See ya sometime over the next two weeks. Thanks. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects