Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

First table saw

RDBuild
Growing in Experience

First table saw

Hi Bunnings Workshop Community, 

I am keen to buy my first table saw due to the precision cuts I am wanting going forward. I am a home DIY dude who loves nothing better to get on the tools.

I often see the cheap table saws, eg: Aldi Ferrex Table Saw 254mm for $179 or the Ozito 2000W 254mm Table Saw $199 and I think for my first one, I will just buy a cheapo but then I read the reviews and get turned off. 

Hoping not to  spend more than $400 to $500, I then found the Evolution 1500W 255MM Table Saw with stand R255MTS $409 and the reviews on this look ok.  Also checked out the Ryobi 1800W 254mm Table Saw $499.

Would love and appreciate some input\advice etc on any of the above or any other suggestions.  

Cheers,

RDBuild

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: First table saw

While I have a Bosch, the Evolution line of saws interests me given that they can cut more than just wood. The model above that one for $599 would suit me better but the smaller table size might be right for you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RDBuild,

It's great to see you are already receiving advice from @Brad.

What sort of work are you planning on doing with the saw? If your idea of precision is +/- 2mm on cuts, then some of the budget-friendly models might suffice. They're great for cutting larger sheets down to size before finishing work is completed. I have the Ozito, and it's allowed me to complete jobs that otherwise I wouldn't have been able to.

If you're planning on doing any cabinetry work or finished cuts that require exact precision, then I'd advise sticking with some of the premium models. There's a world of accuracy difference between the Ozito 2000W 254mm Table Saw and, say, the DeWALT 210mm 1850W Table Saw. If I was to purchase another table saw, I'd be looking for one that has a two-position fence that locks at the front and the back. One that locks at the front that has no flex over the fence's length would also work well. I actually clamp the rear side of my fence to the table as it flexes slightly over its distance. As mentioned previously, this might only be +/- 2mm, but that can make a world of difference over a metre if you need perfectly square cuts.

There are also off-range table saws like the ones from Bosch, which your local store's Special Orders team would be happy to price for you.

You might be interested in checking out these previous topics: First table saw by @MikeyhzShopping for a table saw by @BizebodWhat is the "best" table saw for someone starting out in wood working? by @BigFella1956 and Table saw by @Brent123

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RDBuild
Growing in Experience

Thank you Brad, appreciate your thoughts.

RDBuild
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, thanks for the detailed info, certainly make me think of a few other things, such as precision. I will check out those other suggestions too.

at this stage, looking at the budget models, say less than $500 & from all the research, precision appears to be the biggest factor for such types. There also appear to be work arounds, although not ideal but it’s the go unless you spend some serious coin.

truly appreciate the advice and time so thank you once again.

I’m sure I will have more questions.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects