Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Folding table

Shagen
Building a Reputation

Folding table

Hi, I am new here. This is a great community with lots of ideas. 

I have a question which I hope someone with more knowledge and experience can help. I am building a foldable outdoor table. I have the table top done and have wooded legs for them and know how to make them foldable by using a hinge, maybe. However, I am struggling to undertand how I can make the table stand without collapsing once opened. What can I put on the legs or the table to ensure it doesn't shake and fall if the tabled was rocked or shaken, accidentally?

Thanks for your help.

JudithW
Growing in Experience

Re: Folding table

Hi Mitchell

i recently used a similar brace to stabilise a drop leaf table.

i wanted the brace to sit close to the leg when closed.

i didn’t have any packaging as it came from my father’s workshop and it was a lot of trial and error getting the brace to fit snuggly Where I wanted it.

Is there a simple way to fit this brace or should I have revisited Pythagoras and my year 8 maths?

Any advice greatly appreciated 

Judith

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JudithW. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It really depends on the style of the brace as to where it will sit when the leaf is closed. To get the brace to fit snuggly it would be a good idea to mark out the locations of it in both the open and closed position on the leg and the leaf. Once the approximate locations have been marked out, place a temporary screw on the leaf side and close the leaf. Now that the leaf and brace are closed make sure the brace is fitted snuggly and where you want it. Insert a second temporary screw in the leg side. Open and close the leaf to see if it functions correctly before installing the screws correctly.

You might find it is slightly more difficult than just using Pythagoras theorem as it depends on where the mounting holes are on the bracket, whether it hinges in the middle and if the length of both arms are identical.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shagen
Building a Reputation

934BE97C-602E-4095-B6DE-36284443C2E9.jpeg

09229163-60B9-45F6-AF13-C78784AA91DB.jpeg

My folding table. Not what I was expecting but works.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shagen,

Many thanks for sharing your finished table with the community. Did you manage to sort out the collapsing leg issue and did you use some sort of stay to lock them into place?

I would advise if the table is to be out in the weather that you apply a few good coats of weatherproof varnish or exterior paint to protect the timber from the elements. 

Great work and we look forward to seeing what the next project is that you're constructing around the home or garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shagen
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc, It isn’t quite finished yet. I want to treat it, even though it is going to be stored in my shed.

My initial plan was to collapse it inwards but that did not go to plan so I decided to fold it inwards as you see. It isn’t perfect as the two legs don’t match up. i was hoping that it would. My measurements were all wrong! Will learn to measure them properly in fixture.

I created a groove on the flat surface so that the legs don’t run, so that enabled the leg to stay when they are opened.

The ply is too thin (12mm) and is not as sturdy as I would have liked. Probably should have got an 18mm one but I thought the 12mm was the right weight.

We all learn from our mistakes,I guess.

Thanks for the support and the encouragement.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Shagen

The best teacher in the world is making mistakes and anyone who states they do not make mistakes never does anything. Before undertaking a project research research and research do a sketch no matter what is look likes, make a materials list, form this you can make any changes before starting.

Next measure, measure and measure before cutting.

Looking at your photo with a little bit of though you can make the bench work by just adding a couple of braces that clip in. Enjoy the learning process.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects