Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I secure a tarp to my carport posts?

jollyyau
Finding My Feet

How do I secure a tarp to my carport posts?

Hi community!

I am thinking about changing the way the tarp is fixed on my carport, as it has started to tear apart due to strong winds.

BEF7418F-9B21-4D5A-9D6E-043EA481E0D8.jpeg

For context, my carport has a garage roller door at the front, wooden walls & fence on either side, and a temporary tarp fixture at the back. Here's a diagram:

IMG_1631.jpg

The main goal is to protect the carport from rain and weather. The current tarp has been fixed to the top of the carport frame and side of the house with wood screws. The top holds up fine, but the side has torn away. Here's a picture:

ADBADA1B-1B58-4FCA-9F32-561277815B81.jpeg

Eventually, I removed the nails on the walls and secured the side onto the metal pipe with large cable ties. This gives the tarp space to move in the wind but results in a lot of ruffle noise and unfortunately, my bedroom window is right next to it. I created extra eyelets in the tarp but they have also snapped in the wind. Also, the bottom is not fixed, so it keeps blowing and eroding away the grass in our backyard. 

23633209-74D4-46D4-8A79-E57470C694FD.jpeg

My question is - is there a way to fasten a tarp vertically taut onto 4 ends? These are the 4 surfaces to attach to:

Top: carport frame, wood

Left: side of house, wood

Right: carport pole, wood

Bottom: ground, soil and concrete

I’ve been looking at eyelet rings that can be fixed to the pole, as well as guy rope with trace springs to fix on the ground. I’m also thinking about replacing the tarp with a new one, what materials should I pick? 

However, I’m just not sure what combination works best, as this solution uses the tarp vertically, which isn’t the intended solution.

Ideally, the solution needs to allow access to a carport from the back garden, as one of my family’s requirements. Originally I suggested a more long-term solution like “why don’t we just seal it off completely and board it up with a wood or metal panel?” And this idea got rejected. It doesn’t have to be wide access space, as long as the attachments can be loosened up or unhooked, then we can still access the carport. 

I’m open to suggestions on an alternative idea other than using a tarp, I’ve even thought about getting another garage door on the other side, as it still allows access from the backyard, but it’s quite expensive.

Not sure if relevant but there’s actually a shade cloth on the right, attached with nail strips along the fence & carport frame. This is because there’s a small garden bed along the fence extending to the backyard, so the right side can’t be 100% sealed.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I secure a tarp to my carport posts?

Hello @jollyyau

Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to secure your tarp to the carport post.

I've run into this particular situation before. I suggest building a lightweight but strong flexible frame. Your tarp is acting like a sail every time strong wind hits it. There must be an avenue for the air to escape. I suggest building the frame out of 42 x 19mm x 3m Premium Grade Dressed Pine. I recommend using 184 x 19mm x 1.8m Premium Grade Dressed Pine as the triangular brace connectors for the frame. I suggest painting the frame with Taubmans Low Sheen White Sunproof Exterior Paint - 1L White.

You have the option of recycling your tarp and placing it on the frame. I suggest a combination of Pryda Foil Fix - Strip of 10 for the front and Trojan 4 In 1 Heavy Duty Staple Gun for the sides going over the frame. However, I recommend using Coolaroo 3.66m Graphite 90% UV Heavy-Duty People Cover Shade Cloth - Per Metre over the door assembly. This is the air escape valve for your garage.

However, if you prefer to cover the whole frame with shade cloth, please make sure that you get the thickest one available. I propose mounting the frame on the car post timber frame using a Carinya 30 x 30 x 30 x 3.5mm Stainless Steel Angle Bracket at least 4 on each side. This solution allows you to still have access to the garage and allows the air to pass through.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your garage safely covered. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful advice! Love the diagram and it’s really well put together. I agree that shade cloth will probably be best idea, although I have concerns that rain/weather might still reach the car. Are there any weather-proof shade cloths that can block rain without the “wind sail” effect? And wondering if the scaffolding frame will help reduce this effect as well. I saw this type of tarp in an outdoor tent and wonder if I can do something similar?

4BF4E3E0-193A-4A98-A004-3A5C594F2DE2.jpeg

After taking closer look at my carport and measuring the exact dimension, I have discovered some issues, I was wondering if they are of concern?

Issue #1

The car is too long to fit inside carport when garage door is closed. In the past I never realised this issue because the tarp was flexible. But this means I can’t put the frame inside of the carport unless I add depth or extend it outside of the carport. Yellow tape shows location of frame when attached inside

42495EEB-CEAD-4D1A-A9AA-358FD9284797.jpeg

Issue #2

if we build the frame outside, the surfaces to secure the frame are uneven.

F7E693C8-1A5D-4770-A2A3-3FB48D5DF125.jpeg

The right side has a window and metal pipe, and the ground is concrete and soil. Yellow tape shows location of frame if attached outside.  

D0641429-2EA4-4BB5-983C-12021288767C.jpeg

The carport is also at an angle sloping down, so water sometimes pools in the soil area. The concrete edge is also uneven. I’m not sure how to secure the bottom of the frame into concrete or soil?

83E069B4-C145-4C9C-B296-013D999AC6C4.jpeg

Issue #3

The carport width is actually 3.2m wide, and Bunnings only has pre-cut dressed pine wood up to 3m. Is it a structural issue if we use more than one length of wood across? I’m also not sure how to properly join the wood together. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jollyyau

Let me re-arrange the cover frame to take into account the condition of your garage. I will post the updated sketches as soon as I can.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects