Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you learn to use tools properly if you have been self taught

Vanditto
Just Starting Out

How do you learn to use tools properly if you have been self taught

Hi All.  Looking forward to being part of this group.  I am 60 years old and a self taught handyman (being an office worker all my life).

Is there a video forum showing the correct way to use tools, especially electric tools.  I also recently bought a hand planer at a local garage sale and there is a screw adjustment on the back which I have no idea about.

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

Re: How do you learn to use tools properly if you have been self taught

hi there

plenty of info online, Bunnings has some great DIY videos for you to peruse, you tube is awesome as well, the screw on the planer will be the blade adjustment to get it to the depth you want

Ozwelder
Just Starting Out

Hi Vanditto

Without seeing the plane, I would say it is the height adjustment.

Rather than move/adjust the fixed position spinning blade assembly this hand screw is normally designed to move a block, separate from the main body.

By moving the block up or down as required the depth of  planing cut into the timber can be controlled.

When using the plane please let the spinning blades come to a stop before setting the plane down.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Vanditto,

Welcome to Workshop. Great to see you have already received a couple of helpful replies. As you can see, our members are extremely helpful and generous when it comes to sharing their knowledge and experience. 

Can you please be a little more specific about what tools you'd like to learn about? We are more than happy to provide links to helpful videos if you could please let us know what projects you'd like to tackle and what tools you need to use. 

Thanks for joining in the discussion. We look forward to seeing your skills develop and you receiving plenty of encouragement and advice from the Workshop community along the way.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Heya @Ozwelder, many thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. It sounds like you have a lot to offer our members. We trust you'll also get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects in return from our clever and creative community. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share or need a hand. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Hello @Vanditto 

Nice to hear what you have to say.  It is hard to learn if you don't have a close handyman role model to follow.   I know this only too well.  I have learn more in the past few years, from watching video clips on Bunnings website, this is how I found this site.  There are so many talented people on here and only too willing to help or guide in the right direction.  I also find some - I do say some! of the information on www.youtube.com  very helpful.  But sadly it's mostly from other countries, which I find frustrating as we can't buy many of the items they suggest in using here in Australia. 

If I can learn anyone can.  I am not only an older woman, I am left handed and disabled to some extent.  So if I can do things anyone can.

So all the best 

This old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects