Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a workshop 3.M x 3.M x 2.1M high

gerard1
Just Starting Out

How to build a workshop 3.M x 3.M x 2.1M high

Never build a workshop before would like to know how and what timber do I use   

Garden shed

Hi 

Would like to know please where can purchase the metal frame instead of timber for c/bond shed location in sydney

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden shed

Hi @gerard2,

I've made contact with a Bunnings supplied metal frame manufacturer Steel-Deck which supplies to the Sydney region. They can custom make any sized metal frame you need and have a handy online calculator and quoting system. If you would like, we can get you a quote through your local store's Special orders desk. We can also process your enquiry over the phone.

If you would like further information or had questions, please, let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Garden shed

Ok will advise in the next few days

Thank you 

Gerard2

Re: How to build a workshop 3.M x 3.M x 2.1M high

Hi @MitchellMc ,

What should be used for external walls ? 

Will this Fibre  Cement be good enough  ? I mean make wall frame as you have recommended and screw this cement sheet on top ?

How about Roof?

What should be the external material ?  Will this Roof Sheet be good ? 

Seal all joints and screws with Sealing Tape 

Will it be fine for Sydney rains ?

Do I need to do something else for protection against weather ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @abhayks

Yes, the James Hardie HardieFlex™ 3000 x 1200 x 4.5mm Cladding 3.6m² can be used for external wall cladding. Yes, the Suntuf Trimdek 3m Solar Grey Polycarbonate Roofing Sheet will work as roofing. However, I suggest using Dunlop 300ml FC Polyurethane Joint Sealant to seal the gaps between the HardieFlex sheets. You can also use it to cover the exposed screw heads. 

My other tips for this build are:

• Make sure to make provisions for a rain gutter. 
  • Determine where all the rainwater will go. Will it flow to the front down to the street? Will it flow into the garden? 
  • Make sure to put builder's plastic around your entire framework. 

I strongly suggest drawing up a plan first before buying any of the materials. It sounds like a very interesting project. Any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated.

Here are some fantastic shed projects our Wroskhop members have shared.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

abhayks
Having an Impact

Thanks @EricL . 

Still in Planning phase. Awaiting approval from my wife. She's of the opinion that I should just buy a steel shed, while I want to have something better looking :). 

How will this be for covering sheet  the framework ?  Is this the builder's plastic you had mentioned? 

Else kindly give link to an exact product that I should be using. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @abhayks,

The Ametalin 1370mm x 30m VapourTech Brane VHP Vapour Permeable Wall Insulation is not Grunt 2 x 20m Black 100um Multi Use Plastic Film, but I'd suggest it will do the same job that @EricL recommended it for. If it's going over the steel framework, then either of these sheeting products provide a vapour barrier. The Ametalin product is specifically designed for that application, so would be my recommendation.

I'm sure @EricL will let you know if he has other thoughts.

Can't wait to see your project. Reach out if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects