Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint the garage door?

terrywang
Building a Reputation

How to paint the garage door?

Need to paint the new tilt garage door (steel) and the new timber jambs, probably the porch fence (metal) as well. The garage door is west facing so it receive a lot of UV, especially in summer, so weather and UV resistance may be a major consideration (it doesn't show any sign of rust).

Questions:

Should I use different paint for all 3 types of surface? Assume yes (all in deep ocean or similar colour).

• Weathershield seems to be for exterior (wall, etc.)
  • Metalshield - seems to be the best option for outdoor metal, works for both the garage door and fence (tried dulux metalshield epoxy enamel to respray door handle the oily smell lasted very long, but it shouldn't be a concern for outdoor parts)...
  • Acratex - acrylic as top coat for the garage door (overkill)?
  • The exterior paint on top of the rendered external wall showed some mould buildup over the years (cannot be removed), thinking of giving it another coat - weathershield matt / low sheen or something else that can last longer (Resistant to UV and mould)?
  • Any additional sealant on top of the last coat?

111.jpg

Any advice will be appreciated. TIA

terrywang
Building a Reputation

Re: How to paint the garage door?

@MitchellMc @EricL Folks, preparing for multiple jobs (stocking tools and paint, etc. over the Black Friday / Cyber Monday period) so didn't do much (also bad weather didn't allow), forgot to ask what type of paint I should apply to the timber jambs, they are pre-primed so I don't need to sand it (I was told).

Don't think the Rust Guard is appropriate for timber, as the jambs' two sides are facing the setting sun as well as exposed to wind/rain, I reckon it requires some sort of UV/weather resistant paint / or even multiple coats.

Re: How to paint the garage door?

Hi @terrywang,

Dulux Weathershield would be my first recommendation for exterior pre-primed timber. It has UV protection, is resistant to all weather conditions and is guaranteed not to peel, flake or blister for as long as you live in your home. 

There's no need to sand, and you can paint directly over the pre-primed surface.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects