Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Insulation suggestion for stainless steel shed

Sunda
Cultivating a Following

Insulation suggestion for stainless steel shed

Insulation1.jpgHi everyone, 

We are in the process of getting our steel shed built, and was advised by the tradies that we should be insulating the whole shed, including the recreational room.

They recommended the reflective thermal insulation for the roof and just use the plasterboard for the wall for recreational room.

But different people have given us different advices, so am confused which insulation to use.

I have done some research online and the more I dig, the more confused I became.

I was told the higher the thermal M2k/W, the better.

Is that correct?

The thermal insulation productive we are looking at has a Material Thermal Resistance of 0.20 (M2K/W).

Would that be good enough? How many degrees can it reduce the heat of the shed?

We live in Far North Queensland, so heat will be an issue in Summer.

Sunda
Cultivating a Following

Re: Insulation suggestion for stainless steel shed

Thank you DIYgals!

I really appreciate it.

Am wondering if would mind advising the size of your shed and how many KW of air conditioner did you install?

We are looking at installing an air conditioner as well.

DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

@Sunda 

No problems!

The space we are cooling is approx 40m2 and have chosen a 6.5KW unit. We took into account location, aspect and pitch as well as the colour of the sheets and thought it was a good idea to choose a larger unit. 

We used this guide : Choice AC Guide 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sunda

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @DIYgals. I just wanted to add a few tips to the suggestions that have already been made. Use light coloured paint for both the roof and outside walls. Lighter colours reflect heat versus dark colours that absorb heat. I recommend using Dynabreeze 450mm Silver Industrial Floor Fan or an equivalent to get good air circulation in your shed. This will uniformly distribute the cold air and saves your AC unit from working too hard.

It sounds like a fantastic project. Any updates you can provide while it's being built would be much appreciated. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects