Workshop
Ask a question

How to build a lightbox

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How to build a lightbox

There's been quite a bit of interest in how to construct a lightbox for drawing, so I've put together some renderings and instructions for an easy version that anyone can build.

Finished.png

Materials:

Tools:

Step 1

Take your 42 x 19mm Pine timber and cut two lengths each of 862, 600, and 300mm. Pre-drill the ends of the 862 and 600mm sections with the 3mm drill bit. Drill an 8mm hole in one end of both the 300mm pieces. Apply your PVA glue to the ends of the 862mm sections and screw the 600mm sections to them with the woodscrews.

1a.png 2a.png

Step 2

In one corner, drill a partial 8mm hole in the frame. This will be used to accommodate the power cable. Apply PVA glue to one side of the frame and position your MDF board. Fix the board into place with your nails.

3a.png 4a.png 5a.png 6a.png

Step 3

Insert your bolts through the 8mm holes in your frame. Include washers before attaching your 300mm timber sections to the bolts. You might wish to round the top of the leg section and add a chamfer to the bottom of the legs. Add your wingnut, fold the legs and lock them into place.

7a.png 8a.png 

Step 4

Paint the interior of the box with your white paint. You might also like to paint the exterior sides. After your paint has dried thoroughly, pass the LED light strip through the 8mm hole in the corner of the unit. Make sure to leave the switch on the exterior of the unit. Remove the self-adhesive backing and stick the LED strip around the box's perimeter.

9a.png 

Step 5

Next, take your clear silicone and run a bead around the top of the lightbox. Place the acrylic sheet on top and press it down into position.

10a.png 11a.png

That's all there is to it. Quite a simple project that can be made over the weekend. It's perfect for tracing and transferring images or just illustration in general. I'll be keen to see your versions, so please feel free to show us in the comments down below. 

12.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a lightbox

Many thanks for sharing @MitchellMc, I'm sure this will be popular with the community.

Jason

Handy-Andy
Finding My Feet

Thanks for sharing this very informative How To guide @MitchellMc 
I haven't had a chance to construct it yet but the plans look great and I'm hoping to get onto this in the next month or so when I get some spare time.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Handy-Andy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

I'm glad @MitchellMc's guide has inspired you to make your own lightbox. Please make sure to post updates so our members can see your version of the lightbox. 

If you have any questions while building this project, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects