Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replaced a dodgy window frame

Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Replaced a dodgy window frame

I finally got around to replacing a shed window here that was pretty rotten. I kept it real simple and just butt joined the frame instead of mitering (else the bottom and top planks were too short to use lol) I was also racing a incoming storm and beat the rain by about 10minutes (phew lol, job took me about a hour)

For some reason I was dreading doing this job but as with most things - Once you start its kinda suprising how easy it is to get somthing basic knocked up that works (eventually this sheds getting knocked down so it didnt have to be perfect :smile: )

PS-having issues with the website bogging down and then erroring when i try to preview to rearrange my photos (chrome browser)  so they are out of order but I cant change them around sorry (the website kept having to reload my post from data it had saved as my post kept dissapearing too when i clicked preview)

better than beforebetter than beforeBefore AfterBefore AfterMy boy helping, frames goneMy boy helping, frames goneOriginal Window with original flatblade screws (arghh)Original Window with original flatblade screws (arghh)I tried mitering the rounded window mouldings and failed lolsI tried mitering the rounded window mouldings and failed lolsBasic new frame in, deliberatly made the bottom shelf "proud" to hold potplantsBasic new frame in, deliberatly made the bottom shelf "proud" to hold potplants

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replaced a dodgy window frame

Hi @Prawns,

What an excellent repair job you've done there, and the pot plant shelf is a nice touch. Have you used 150 x 25mm 4.8m Treated Pine H4 Wet Sawn to construct the frame? If so, that's not going to rot out anytime soon with the H4 treatment.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Replaced a dodgy window frame

Wow your good with ID'ing the wood from photos lols. Yeah I used that exact size and I think that exact product you linked to for the sides, and I used 50mm thick stuff for the top and bottom just for packing purposes mainly to help the window fit lols  (both H4 rated as you say)  I used some 30mm trim moulding for around the window which was H3 rated https://www.bunnings.com.au/30-x-30mm-2-4m-h3-treated-pine-quad-moulding_p8480652

I thought it was going to be a nightmare as Ive never tried to do this kind of job before - but it was pretty easy really :smile:  (apart from mitering - I still gotta get my head around correctly mitering a rounded moulding hahahah)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects