Workshop
Ask a question

How to replace Ozito lawn mower blade?

miketun
Getting Established

How to replace Ozito lawn mower blade?

Hi,

I hit a tree root with my Ozito Cordless Lawn Mower (PXCLMK-018) and tore the blade off.

The instructions say to hold the bolt with a 12mm spanner and turn the blade.

Without a blade I cannot keep the spindle from turning when I try to undo the bolt.

Any suggestions?

Ozito Mower.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Replacing Ozito Lawn Mower Blade

I would use some magic spray ( WD40) and let it sit for a while.

Locking pliers should fit the shaft going by the photo and allow enough grip to undo the bolt with a spanner.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Place 12mm ring spanner on the bolt. hold the ring spanner on the bolt and give the spanner a sharp hit on the shank the impact may loosen the the bolt enough too undo it you may need to do this a couple of times or if you have an impact driver use a socket and the impact may do the job

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @miketun. We're pleased to have you join us and trust that you'll get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all manner of projects around the house and garden from our amazing members.

Great to see you receive such prompt and helpful advice from a couple of superstars in Brad and Ron. Please let us know how you go after following their suggestions. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
miketun
Getting Established

Thanks Brad, for taking the time to answer.

I did spray some WD40 on it and left it for about 5 days while waiting for the replacement blade to arrive.

The Internet says that brake fluid is even better, so I tried that as well.

I managed to apply what I thought was a really strong force with locking pliers, but still I could not budge the bolt. The spindle slipped first.

There doesn't seem to be any corrosion on the bolt.

miketun
Getting Established

Hi r23on,

I have tried giving the spanner a sharp hit, but no luck I'm afraid.

What I haven't done yet is tried an impact driver, so I'll try to borrow one and give that a shot.

I did receive an email from my local Bunnings store and they suggested I bring the mower in for their service people to look at, which I did, but the result was the same. It seems impossible to lock the spindle while trying to turn the bolt.

I'm wondering if the impact driver doesn't do it, maybe I should take out the motor, but doing that will give me only slightly more surface of the spindle to work with.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi I do know WD40 and. break fluid mix is a top solution and soaks in well the break fluid gets in between any crack in can’t remember the mix ratio but it’s good gear  used it many times i would still try the impact driver first once you get the bolt out go to repco and get some anti seizure spray give the thread a spray first then the bolt will never seizures again

keep safe

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi I can not find my mix ration of break fluid and WD40. However I have done bit of a look around this may be of use try this. 50/50 blend of automatic transmission fluid and acetone mix 

miketun
Getting Established

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I was able to borrow a cordless impact driver.

Half a second after pulling the trigger the bolt was undone!

I hope this discussion helps someone else.

r23on: Thinning the transmission fluid with acetone seems like a good idea.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @miketun,

It's fantastic to hear you managed to get the bolt off. I trust @Brad and @r23on will be pleased to hear of your success.

I'm sure this discussion will benefit those in the future that run into the same issue.

Many thanks for updating the discussion with your solution.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects