Workshop
Ask a question

How to weatherproof existing shed?

BobLoblaw
Cultivating a Following

How to weatherproof existing shed?

Hello fellow DIYers!

Hoping you can advise me-

I have a small garden shed (very approx 2x3x2m) that has been bolted directly onto an uneven concrete path. Leaves, dirt, and damp accumulate in the shed, damaging or dirtying the contents. 

Could anyone one suggest a cheap and easy way to seal the bottom? It doesn’t have to be perfect. I was thinking of taping a waterproof membrane of some sort. 

Thanks for any any thoughts on this. 

Bob

p.s. I tried to search for existing threads on this topic but the mobile search function was hard to use. Sorry if this query has been adequately answered already. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: weatherproofing existing shed

I suggest bitumen backed flashing tape. Get all items in shed out. Give a very thorough clean. Let shed dry and make sure there is no moisture left between shed and cement. Apply tape where shed meets cement. Use roller to give positive seal. Clean outside and apply on outside of shed as well.

Screenshot_20191008-171533_Chrome.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

BobLoblaw
Cultivating a Following

Re: weatherproofing existing shed

Thanks for the advice @redracer01. That seems perfectly doable and cost effective. Just what I needed!

Re: Weatherproofing existing shed

Hi @BobLoblaw,

Great to see you make your first Workshop post and receive a prompt and helpful reply. We look forward to reading a lot more about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand from our clever and creative members. 

Sorry to see that you had trouble using Workshop's search functionality. Please let me know if you have any feedback about how we might improve it for you. And please don't hesitate to reach out if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site. 

You might be interested in this recent discussion - Rain leaks into my new shed

Welcome to the community,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MightyMouse
Finding My Feet

Hi,

I dropped double layer of weed matting on the dirt floor of my shed ( same size as yours I think ).. then bought inexpensive pavers and put them on top of the weed mat wall to wall. Hahahaha not perfectly level, though quite level.

recently the holey roof got an inexpensive fix, as tarps kept ripping off 🙄🤯 so I had a few malfunctioning interior window blinds... some friends said they are UV protected and to use rubber adhesive paint to glue them to the roof, they will be waterproof and UV resistant and last longer and dryer than any tarp.

Brilliant.

roof newly done, and looks better than Tarp and ropes.

The ‘Me’ installed floor has been in place , dry and couchegrass free for 20 ...yes that’s Twenty... Years.

pavers and Black Plastic Weed Matting bought from Bunnings😊

Nice one @MightyMouse, many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience. We're pleased to have you join the Workshop community and trust you'll also get heaps of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects from other members. Feel free to post anytime you have something to share or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BobLoblaw
Cultivating a Following

That’s impressive @MightyMouse! Food for thought. A mat could be an added layer of protection if I don’t get the tape right. Thanks. 

BobLoblaw
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Jason 

Thank you very much Jason 

clipboard_image_0.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects