Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's your favourite tool?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

When interviewing Workshop users for our our member profiles, I really like to ask them about their favourite tools. 

@mikedoeslife says his multi-tool is a favourite, but he also loves electric and hand-powered saws. Mike's partner Friedel loves a good paint brush. 

Avid gardener @Tracey has many favourites, including her trusty Felco secateurs and a small pair of vintage shears that are almost child-size but very effective and easy to use.

Meanwhile, @Eric loves his new cordless drill. 

toolbox.JPG 

Let us know by replying below.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What's your favourite tool?

@Walter , I bought a cheap multitool a few years ago because I wasn't sure I'd have much use for it. Wore it out in a year and bought a better one, which has solved many problems. Especially cutting right against an edge where other saws won't go, or for doing the bulk of the work when chiselling grooves

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"I can't do detail sanding with my current sanders, and the Multi-tool would be perfect for that."

Just my experience - but I found sanding with the multi-tool hopeless - compared to a dedicated detail sander.

Possibly related to the fact the sanding pad oscillates only on the outer edges - the middle area does next to nothing, sanding wise.

There is a tendency to push harder on the front corner - with no positive result. Push hard enough and you can melt the velcro.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Multi-tool  does so many things well, some it does okay and some fall into this is what I have got so it will have to do. Detail sanding is something that falls mostly into not the best option, I have found on mine turning it up more helps the middle area but if your trying for a corner sand the outer edges make it hard to control. I imported an attachment for mine that will allow me to sand curves, it did a brilliant job on sanding 1/4 round that I clear coated afterwards.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

@Brad that sounds like a fascinating attachment. Any chance you could post a photo of it. I think that the limited types of attachments that are available limit the tools possibilities. I hadn't thought of looking for more imaginative attachments from overseas sources. Thanks for prompting that idea.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-OSL234SPCK-Oscillating-Multi-Tool-Contoured/dp/B074ZPLR27/ref=sr_1_6?dc... 

Fairly simple idea on how it works, you just need a supply of Velcro sandpaper for replacements.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks. Pretty clever idea! 

Ari
Having an Impact

I love this thread.

My favourites are:

- my Ozito PXC 18V Detail Sander (so nice and light - used recently to sand down an outdoor setting, and sand some tile prior to painting)

- my Ozito PXC 18V Drill use it all the time, everything from flat packs to lifting a toilet bowl recently to tile under it

- my tile nippers.  No idea how anyone tiles around a toilet without them!

RodN
Finding My Feet

Ryobi One+ 18V Brushless Impact Driver.....This tool punches well above it's weight against all the expensive brands. Ryobi in general provide good quality and an impressive range of tools at a reasonable price. I use them in a medium trade mechanical business and have had no problems.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your favourite tool @RodN. Looking forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the Bunnings Workshop community and need assistance with a project. We're here to help.

Welcome aboard,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects