Workshop
Ask a question

Where to find free pallets?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Where to find free pallets?

Pallet.pngMost Bunnings stores will happily provide you with free pallets whenever they are available. Just speak to one of the helpful team members in the Timber Yard at your local store and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

To avoid disappointment, we always recommend to give the store a call before visiting to ensure they have supply. 

Pallets come in a variety of shapes and sizes. 

Clever and creative Bunnings Workshop members have used recycled pallet timber in a wide variety of different projects. For ideas and inspiration, check out our Top 10 most popular pallet projects

Our How-to section also includes several pallet projects with full step-by-step instructions, Guides include:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where can I find free pallets?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @McHarry. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your tip.

That's a great suggestion which I trust our members will appreciate. 

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Are the free pallets treated?

Hey, I was just wondering are the free pallets at Bunnings chemically treated?

Because I want to make wooden tomato cages for my garden.

Re: Are the free pallets treated?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lynleywest. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about pallet treatments.

Pallets come in a variety of treatments, from heat to chemicals. Typically the type of treatment is marked with a stamp on the pallet. However, you should also consider what has been transported on the pallets and that some pallets are not marked at all. As a rule of thumb, you should consider all pallets to have been treated with chemicals and only use them for purposes that would be suitable. Never use timber pallets on projects where the timber will come in contact with food. Serving platters or chopping boards are a big no-no.

If you find some pallets marked with an 'HT', then that denotes a heat treatment, which would be suitable for your tomato cages. Alternatively, I like to line pallets with plastic when using them for planters.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

jgsaau
Getting Established

Re: How do you find free pallets?

G'Day Guys

Thanks for the prompt reply :smile:

I have been collecting pallets from these stores for years and because I visit these stores multiple times a week have got to know staff at each location.

Two stores since they were built, so I know the full history of these locations.

No one I know at these stores can tell me why their store is not leaving pallets outside, in fact no one even knew that they we not doing this anymore.

I walked out to the spot they were being left with a staff member and they were really shocked that it is 'abandoned' - their word not mine.

I have a trade pass from when my wife worked on 'Special Orders' desk at a Bunnings in ACT, so I know my way around Bunnings processes and I have left me details to have someone contact me and I'm still waiting.

I use the wood to build garden 'furniture' for low income / seniors as a volunteer, but I cannot afford to continue without the free timber.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jgsaau,

Many of our locations are now having their pallets picked up and recycled. I'll speak to the store manager and have a look into this for you as we'd love for you to continue your excellent work.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jgsaau,

You'll be pleased to know that Alex, the Store Manager at Bunnings Gawler, is more than happy to keep pallets aside for you. If you'd like to have a chat with him next time you are in-store, he'll be glad to discuss your needs.

Mitchell

jgsaau
Getting Established

G'Day Mitchell

Thanks for all you efforts, I and my community really appreciate you doing this :smile:

I have included a picture of a Hutch this is my most "popular product", I give them away to encourage people to put out their excess produce from their gardens and they can obviously sell the extra plants they do not want.

The timber is all palette wood from Bunnings, the customer just needs to purchase the breeze blocks $6 each from Bunnings and a letter box, we don't have letter boxes in this town.

I just wanted to mention that the 4xtimber legs are suspended in the blue stones so it will last a lot longer as concrete traps the moisture and there is no contact with the soil, this design allows the hutch to be removed from the foot path if the council send a letter says "cease and desist".

We actually have video of council works in council vehicles collecting lemons, so we could always put a good case for keeping council workers healthy :smile:

This is probably a strange question, but how do I contact Alex in store, I will be at Gawler Bunnings tomorrow PM, I don't want to waste his time, should I ask to speak to him on the in-store phone at trade desk ?

TIA

Hutch - Free Lemons - small.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jgsaau,

Your project looks impressive; well done! If you're partnered with a non-for-profit organisation, you might like to also speak with the store's Activity Organiser. They'd be able to see how we can further help with your great work.

You certainly won't be wasting Alex's time; he's very interested in meeting you and assisting with your needs. Ask to see him at either the Trade or Service Desk. You might catch him in the early PM; otherwise, you could call the store to make sure he's there before heading in or set up a time to meet.

Mitchell

jgsaau
Getting Established

G'Day @MitchellMc 

I had a chat to Alex today and apparently these stores should have been using a contractor to remove the pallets daily from the day they opened.

So it is not possible to collect pallets from Bunnings.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jgsaau,

Yes, we are aware that some Adelaide stores are currently having their pallets recycled by a contractor. If you ever need assistance with obtaining them, just let us know.

Thanks,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects