Workshop
Ask a question

Where to find free pallets?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Where to find free pallets?

Pallet.pngMost Bunnings stores will happily provide you with free pallets whenever they are available. Just speak to one of the helpful team members in the Timber Yard at your local store and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

To avoid disappointment, we always recommend to give the store a call before visiting to ensure they have supply. 

Pallets come in a variety of shapes and sizes. 

Clever and creative Bunnings Workshop members have used recycled pallet timber in a wide variety of different projects. For ideas and inspiration, check out our Top 10 most popular pallet projects

Our How-to section also includes several pallet projects with full step-by-step instructions, Guides include:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Free Pallets

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Parsi_c90. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

Our stores offer free pallets whenever they become available. If you speak with a helpful team member at the store in the drive-through, they'll be able to show you what they currently have. It's always best to give the store a quick call before you head in to make sure some are there to pick up.

What are you planning to make with the pallets? I'm sure you'll get some great ideas from our Top 10 most popular pallet projects.

Mitchell

Re: pallet projects

Hi @Danielle-maple and @Parsi_c90,

Just thought I'd reach out and extend my own warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you both join us and we're really looking forward to seeing what you create. Please share your projects with the community and don't hesitate to reach out whenever you need a hand. 

Thanks,

Jason

Re: pallet projects

Thanks @Jason. Hopefully making a pallet bed. I'll send pictures if the project ever eventuates :smile: 

What size are the free wooden pallets ?

I've been needing pallets to try something for my room and I need measurements. I want to get some pallets however I'm afraid I'll get too little or too much. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What size are the free wooden pallets ?

Hello @kika_11iro,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about pallet sizes.

Pallets come in various sizes and there is no fixed standard. The most common sizes range from 1m x 1m to 1.2m x 1.2m. The wider pallet sizes can range from 1.8m to 2.4m in length. Depending on the manufacturer they also have different pailing thickness and base timber height and width.

Calculating the number of pailings you will need will depend on the pallet that you will get. For example, if you get the larger pallet with a pailing of 100mm wide by 1200mm tall and 18mm thick you can use this reference to divide the surface area of your project. Based on the answer you get, you now have an average number that you can base your decision on how many pallets to get. For safety add 1 extra pallet to your project in case your average is higher than your calculated answer.

Let me tag our experienced members @Yorky88 and @LePallet for their advice.

I've also added our list of Top 10 most popular pallet projects for tips and inspiration.

Please keep us updated with plans and photos, we look forward to seeing the start of your project.

Eric

Where can I get pallets?

Hi There, 

Could you please help me find free pallets? My project is to make planter boxes with a privacy screen. Closest Bunnings to me are Ashfield, Kingsgrove and Greenacre NSW. Would any of them be happy to arrange delivery as well? 

Second question - I've seen a lot of clips online about dismantling a pallet. Do you have any tips for the best way to avoid splitting the wood and which tools are best for that job? I'll be cutting the pallet in to 3 pieces for the planter and building the vertical wall about 1.8 to 2m. 

Thanks Team! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where can I get pallets?

Hello @Mel10

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about pallets.

The stores you mentioned have free pallets. It is always advisable to give the stores a call before proceeding to have a look. Once you've picked the pallets that you like, you can then ask them to organize delivery. I recommend speaking to one of the team members at the Trade desk. If you tell them what you have in mind I'm sure they will provide assistance. 

I recommend using the Mumme 1260mm Reno Bar. It is the ideal tool to disassemble a pallet without destroying the panels.

We would love to see your project once it's complete.

Eric

Mel10
Finding My Feet

Re: Where can I get pallets?

Thanks so much @EricL! That helps a lot and I sure will share a few pics when it's all done😊

Jayfulu
Just Starting Out

pallets

hi there im looking for free pallets i live in south auckland nz and wanting to help create a DIY house hold bedroom for my home.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: pallets

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jayfulu. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Most Bunnings stores offer free pallets when available. If you speak with a helpful team member at the store in the timber drive-through, they'll be able to show you what they currently have. It's always best to give the store a quick call before you head in to make sure some are there to pick up.

@DiamondDave made a fantastic bed base using pallets and you can find more great ideas in our Top 10 most popular pallet projects. We'd love to see pictures of your progress and the end result, so please keep us updated along the way.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects