Workshop
Ask a question

How to lay artificial grass?

Cyndigirl
Just Starting Out

How to lay artificial grass?

Hi , I am a new member . I want to cover a small area in my ack yard with artificial grass. 

Is it necessary to lay gravel down or can I just place the grass on level  area please?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Artificial grass

Hi @Cyndigirl,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community. 

Let me tag @ProjectPete for you as I know he has had a lot of experience with laying sythentic turf. I would imagine he will say that like in most jobs, preparation is key! What is the surface in your backyard currently?

You might also find the Bunnings tutorial How to lay synthetic turf helpful before starting work.  

Good luck with the project, we are looking forward to seeing it come together. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Can I ask what you mean by level area @Cyndigirl

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

When you install fake grass you should compact the sand @Cyndigirl, then lay 80-100mm of crackerdust and compact it, then the fake grass on top. Make sur eyou pin the grass down and spread fine white (beach) sand over it to hold it down.

You shouldn't install it on top of bricks/concrete for example. Although level, it doesn't allow for drainage and you'll end up with pools of water.

PS There's a trick to the way you cut/join ti too. But you may not need to worry if the area is small enough.

Hope this helps.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hi All

I am about to lay down Artificial  Grass and have some questions;

- Do i need to install a weed membrane? 

- Are you able to link/recommend Sand and/or Sub base. (I am not sure what is the best options in terms of actual products)

Thank you very much.

Roshan

Hi Roshan (@JustinMcAbbe)

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL will be back on the site later today and happy to assist. 

In the meantime you might like to check out the comprehensive Bunnings guide How to lay synthetic turf.

Thanks for your patience.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JustinMcAbbe (Roshan)

It's great that you've decided to install artificial grass in your area. I suggest measuring the size you are planning to cover. In this manner, you'll be able to calculate how much material you'll need for your project. Once you've estimated how much sand you'll need, I recommend looking at the Bastion 20kg Dried Sand. If you are only filling a small area, it would be practical to just get a few bags. 

However, if you are filling a large area, I suggest speaking to the special orders desk and enquiring about ordering a large quantity for delivery. It will be necessary to compact the sand so that you get a uniform flat finish, please don't forget that you can hire a compactor at the store for this project.     

In regards to the top sand, I propose using a 20kg Bag of White Washed Sand. It's best to use a Spear & Jackson Long Handle 14 Tine Garden Rake with its flat side to spread the sand into the artificial turf. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your artificial turf ready for use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects