Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

royq
Having an Impact

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

DSCN1944.JPG

Easy little project at my brother-in-law's place a couple of weeks ago. Took about 5 hours and cost less than $100. Really makes a difference.

The fence is all you can see from one of the bedroom windows, so it needed something to make it less bland. However the fence is very close to the house so we wanted to do something that wouldn't take up too much space.

I made a quick video with a time lapse camera just for fun :smile:

BeforeBeforeAfterAfterDSCN1955.JPG

Thanks for checking this out, happy workshopping.

Cheers, Roy

abbyd13
Just Starting Out

Re: Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

Hi,

just wondering what type of screws you used and did they go through to your neighbours side given how thin a colour bond fence is? 

Thankyou

Abby

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @abbyd13. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about the fabulous project.

The screws are fixed into the posts and the top and bottom rail. These rails are approximately 50mm thick, so you'd be fine using a 25mm Tek screw. You certainly wouldn't want to screw directly into the panel, as your neighbours wouldn't be happy.

We look forward to seeing your completed project. Please let me know if you need further assistance or have more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
becksta
Just Starting Out

Re: Training climbers to screen a fence

FFD988F4-63AA-42BE-A57F-0F02DCD64B98.jpeg

Hey crew, I have a few trellis around my house but none connected directly to the hardie fence. I’m looking to do a similar diamond wire design with wisteria creeper against this fence, just not sure what’s the best approach. Should I build a full frame or can I drill into the top edge of the fence without damaging it? 

On a side note how good is this online forum - although I do feel like I’m cheating on my fav local bunnings employees 🤣 so far they’ve helped me build my kids sand pit and this little wall +render to extend my planters.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @becksta. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing trellis.

I'm super excited to hear that you find our community as excellent as we do. Perhaps you'll find some new fav online employees? Nothing could ever replace our amazing team in-store, though.

Although that might be a Hardie branded fence, it also has the distinct oversized corrugation profile of older asbestos fences. If this is an old fence or you are not 100% sure it's just compressed cement you should be wary. You might be well aware of that, but I just wanted to make sure. Even if it is asbestos it looks like it is pretty stable and well bound with that layer of paint.

Given the chance of asbestos, one misplaced hole could expose you to the fibres. I would advise sticking well clear and creating a free-standing framed structure out of 90 x 45mm outdoor framing timber slightly in front of the fence. I've put together a rendering below to give you an idea of how I'd go about it. Either fix the frame into the garden bed with Dynabolts, or you could concrete it into the ground with stirrups. If that capping strip is metal, you can pin the top of the timber frame back to the fence with a few brackets for added rigidity. Make sure to position the brackets in the low of the corrugation to avoid touching the cement sheeting at all. The frame can be painted a cream colour to match your fence, allowing it to blend in.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

bettyboo17
Finding My Feet

8CA14062-E22E-49C3-801B-88C10718E48E.jpeg

2198AB9F-2B8C-4876-AFF1-4350032D2F21.jpeg

22E46E1A-3BE5-494D-9734-18A8AF86B31A.jpeg

 I saw someone ask if you could do this with passion fruit so thought I’d make an account to upload pics of mine. No you couldn’t because it uses tendrils to climb that reach out quite far so it just spreads all over the place if you look at the pics you’ll see the little spiralling arms it grows to latch on to things it would be better to use jasmine as the actual plant twines itself around the support as it grows so a lot more trainable I’ll post pics of my jasmine 

bettyboo17
Finding My Feet

F7619D2E-4FBE-49B6-828C-9CB92DA9FEF2.png

EB7FC44F-E089-4CD8-8388-5A60AD641CFC.jpeg

FF831694-E2E2-4DB1-9254-90A5EB22254B.jpeg

A129F29B-D012-45A3-B7A3-5E8CC6A73C6E.jpeg

 this is the jasmine I have it twines through the flower mesh and it easier to direct for the wire idea on this post, the passion fruit it just super grabby with its little arms it’s got a mind of it’s own. 
I saw someone ask about the flower mesh on here and it just depends on if you want the pattern or full coverage I feel like if you did use wire and not train / maintain a pattern you’d get full coverage and it would be cheaper and also less ugly while you wait it looks good now but waiting for them to fill out you have to put up with a big eye sore.

my method was dodgy I wouldn’t do it again I just used liquid nails to whack wood on the fence then stapled the flower mesh it’s not that strong especially for my passion fruit it’s heavier and when it bears fruit the mesh struggles a couple of the bits of wood have come away from the fence lol 

The mesh could be good if you installed posts and attached it. My method meant there was a really big space between the fence panels with no support. 

anywho not sure if this was helpful to anyone or not but yeah :smile: 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bettyboo17. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for contributing to the conversation.

Feedback from our members is always extremely valuable, especially if it's firsthand. I trust anyone looking to use this method to grow Passionfruit or Jasmine will undoubtedly have a great reference now.

I love what you've done there, as I'm also a big fan of Jasmine. I've trained the oriental variety to screen off the front of my house. It's a tremendous visual privacy screen and provides a buffer zone that prevents the harsh Summer sunshine from directly hitting our bedroom walls. 

I'll be looking forward to seeing what else you contribute to the community and hearing about all your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please don't hesitate to reach out anytime you need a hand or have something to share.

Mitchell

benc1
Just Starting Out

Hey mate. Do you mind me asking what materials were used? Like type of wire and how you fixed to fence? Is the wire sticking out or flush to fence?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @benc1. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this amazing project.

Some recommended products would be Whites 1.60mm x 15m Stainless Steel 304 Grade Tie Wire as it doesn't rust and can hold a significant amount of weight, and Buildex Tek Screws as they come in a variety of colours to suit your fence.

The screws have self-drilling tips so you can drill them straight into your fence's top and bottom rails. You'll need to grab one of these 5/16 nutsetters, which allows your drill to drive in the screws.

The wire in this project is slightly proud of the fence panels.

Please let me know if you have other questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

contaktnitin
Getting Established

Hey @royq you make it look so easy and love it, thanks for sharing. Just going through all pages of posts and getting the inventory ready :smile: Total novice so the kids are more excited to see what comes out of it than me!!

Thanks for the inventory, will do a final post once decided on what fits best

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects