Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cow animal planter

Jamespeter100
Making a Splash

Cow animal planter

A1A672EC-02C3-448C-B36D-26DC2AD5EA46.jpeg

These are made from pallet segments, but looking at making the cow planter, for starters.

Looked up cartoon pictures of cows. Cartoon designs I find look great, since hard to make realistic models with carving skills. 

635AA580-2DFE-43DA-9E82-EBF7D93811CE.jpeg

Design using pallets, but pallets can be hard to find. Often there are pallets for people to take that have been set aside for people. 
If there aren’t any suitable, like this with 11cm slats, there 110mm wide wood is listed. 

If narrower wood is used, apply a scaling factor.

Thought to check how many lengths of nice timber are needed, two. Four colours of paint, used the samples, and they are lasting. Would prefer UV stabilised exterior paints. I can write the numbers in. Forgot to add in the wood that gives the width. 

D0DC33D3-F090-4575-A1FD-96585A4FAEF6.jpeg

 Others may have other suggestions of wood from Bunnings that will look and perform for this model. Decking timber perhaps. 

Made some models for a market, to check if I could retire making models, cows sold for only $20, the sheep came home waging its tail, after not selling for $50. I’ll add up the total length of timber in the larger sheep. 

D16080B1-F3F4-4439-A7C9-DD013536E27E.jpeg

2EC3ADEF-9689-497F-BC34-B3C47601B20E.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Possible Easter project. Cow animal planter

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ROSITA. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @Jamespeter100 and @Former Workshop member, so they are alerted to your kind comments about their projects. With the communities help, I trust you'll have no trouble completing your very own planter. Feel free to ask any questions and request assistance if needed.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to share them with us. I'm sure you'll find plenty of other inspirational projects within the community as our talented members contribute them here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

C15A02A6-B839-4589-86AF-66A302A04441.jpeg

Lambs ear plant in the sheep, propeller plant in the flying pig, donkey tail succulent in the donkey, hare foot fern in the rabbit, elk fern in the so called elk, looks like a moose and finally, elephants foot plant in a baby elephant planter.  Stachys byzantina,
Crassula falcata
Sedum morganianum
Davallia fejeenis
Platycerium bifurcatum  (Checked the plant label.) 
Dioscorea elephantipes

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

Excellent work James, even sourced the matching plants.

I love the elk @Jamespeter100! As @Former Workshop member mentioned, that's a delightful touch having the related plants potted in them. Did you create the planters first and then find the plants, or did you build the planters specifically to suit those plant names?

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I was making these for our daughters, the youngest came up with the idea of lambs ear plant for the lamb. So I went back over the ones I could match the plants I had to the planter. When visitors come over with their children, the children normally want to take one home. Since then, my eldest grew up and moved to Sydney, of course she took some planters, cousins from Perth took some. I’m finding it’s best to make templates, do the ones that have moved away can be remade. I took some to a market sale, came back having made a loss. Hence, happy to share ideas with others here, so more people can enjoy. What is interesting is finding out where the plants are native to. The elk, the rabbits foot plant and a maiden hair fern are native to Australia. Forgive me, never knew this. Now my next project will have to be a maiden for a maidens hair fern.  This morning, for Mother’s Day next week, working on a floral card.thus is old fashioned where the flowers and leaves peak through a hole in the card. Trying to be a comedian, I’ve made cute little origami mice to go in with the flowers. Just what a little boy would do for his mother. 

28074164-37DA-4BC4-8D5E-E71B402FFA55.jpeg

annieerbs
Cultivating a Following

Re: Cow animal planter

Love it! Great addition to any garden! I made my children a 2 seater chair with rabbits on each end. I also made a rocking  kangaroo back in the day. Was crazy heavy but my 5 children had lots of fun on it!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects