Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Frangipani losing bark

Neo19
Making a Splash

Frangipani losing bark

Hi everyone, I have put some mulch around an 18 months old frangipani which is about a meter and a bit tall. Perhaps the mulch was too close. 

It appears that the main stem lost bark around that. 

I am wondering if there's anything I could do to protect and support this tree.

It's growing okay.

IMG_20200514_113837.jpg

IMG_20200514_113807.jpg

IMG_20200514_113804.jpg

   

IMG_20200514_113744.jpg

Re: Frangipani losing bark

Thanks, will do.

Finally after the long wait it looks like two of the branches have got leaves.

IMG_20201113_090405.jpg

IMG_20201113_090419.jpg

@MitchellMc Do you reckon I can chop below the air layered section now and plant it to soil? How would I know whether it's the new roots that supporting these new growth as opposed to nutrients coming from taproot through the main stem?

I have used transparent plastic cup hoping I'd be able to see any new roots, However can't see any yet. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neo19,

I would remove the cup to check for roots before cutting the stem. If there are roots present I would cut below them and replant.

If there are no roots I would follow @Noelle's advice above. Cut the trunk above the damaged area, leave the base to dry for a couple of days, dip in rooting hormone and plant in propagating mix.

I've got my fingers crossed that you find roots in the cup. If not, we are not worse off than we were four months ago.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects