Workshop
Ask a question

How to stop gall wasp on lemon tree?

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

How to stop gall wasp on lemon tree?

CitrusGallWasp.jpg

Hi everyone.

We have gall wasp in our lemon tree. We’ve been repeatedly cutting it out over the years but it keeps coming back! :unhappy: I just want to let my poor tree grow!! Do those yellow pest strips actually work? Or anything else other than severe pruning?

Keen to hear everyone's tips. Thanks.

Nino
Getting Established

Re: Gall wasp on lemon tree

Hi All,

I am new to this Forum. I have had Gall wasp issues on my lemon tree for a number years.

I have pruned, cut back to bare trunk, removed the gall but they still kept coming back.

I did some serious research into a Product called Kaolin Clay also known as Surround.

I remember my later father spraying everything from Fruit trees, Grape Vine to tomato plants with a homemade brew of Garden Lime and Copper Sulphate crystals. This inspired my research into Kaolin Clay.

I tracked down and purchased this Kaolin Clay ($110 for 12.5Kg) expensive but worth every cent.

Start of September last year I mixed 10g per 1lt of water and sprayed my Lemon tree and other fruit trees with this mixture.

You should spray your lemon tree(s) between September and December for maximum protection from Gall Wasp.

It is now May and I am happy to report that My lemon tree is FREE from Gall wasp.

I highly recommend this product and does not need to be mixed with other pesticides like white oil but you can if you wish to give your tree added protection against leaf miner which appears to become active during March/April.

Hope this helps you all with Gall Wasp Issues.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings.
Please visit the Bunnings website
if you need assistance from the Bunnings customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Nino. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

It's funny that you mention Kaolin clay as I've been researching it recently but for a very different purpose. It seems to be a bit of a wonder item and has many uses within beauty products, porcelain, soap, paint, paper and many other products. I would be intrigued to know what exactly it is doing that prevents Gall wasp.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge with the community, as I trust any members with a recurring Gall wasp issue will turn to your advice. We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration here as our creative members constantly share their wonderful ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nino
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell,

Kaolin Clay deposits a very fine layer of the product over the whole tree, leaves and Trunk.

Any Gall Wasp that may be infesting the tree at that time will suffocate as they cannot tolerate the fine powder and it also stops the Female Wasp from nesting or laying its eggs on the new shoots, thus eradicating this pest, spraying is recommended between September and December when the Gall Wasp is most active.

Cheers Nino (6246)

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings.

kate5
Finding My Feet

Hi Nino,

Kaolin Clay was suggested to me last year too in relation to Gall Wasps on citrus tress, but it was already September when I started looking into it and couldn't find much on the product.

Are you able to share where you managed to get the Kaolin Clay from? I'd love to get some for this year as the problem has now spread to my 2 smaller citrus trees this year.

Thanks

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome @kate5 and thanks for jumping in and contributing to this discussion.

Let me tag @Noelle and @LisasGarden who may be able to help, as well as @EricL who will be back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

Hi there, I don’t know much about the clay but this is how I treat mine. I had a problem for quite a few years and used to prune them off. It was a vicious  circle though,  as the wasp loves the new growth. Now I just inspect the trees regularly and scrape the gall to expose them and they die. 

Nino
Getting Established

Hi Kate5,

Surround Kaolin Clay can be purchased from Nutrient Ag Solution.

They only sell it in 12Kg Bags when I last purchased it, cost was $108.00 for the 12Kg Bag.

They do not sell it in smaller quantities. It may be a good idea if you can get together with others to purchase it as it lasts a long time and goes a long way.

(Due to Covid opening times may differ as advertised) It is best to call them first, they do have other branches, but this is the only one outlet that carries the product.

7 George St Wandin North

Ph: 03 5964 3566

Hours: Monday - Saturday 08.30 AM to 5.30 PM

Hope this helps and I have not seen any Galls on my tree since last year. I have attached instructions and disregard Eltham Address on Leaflet

Kaolin Clay.jpg

kate5
Finding My Feet

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the info @Nino . @LisasGarden I'm planning on scraping back the galls on 2 of the trees as they're still quite small and newer, however the main tree is really big and I'm not confident I'll be able to manage scrapping them all - especially around the top of the canopy, hence wanting to try the Kaolin Clay too.

Hi Mitchell

Will Bunnings look to stock the Kaolin Clay ? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Meeds

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Allow me to make some inquiries for you about the Kaolin Clay. Gall wasp infestation is a menace and spreads rapidly from tree to tree. I suggest having a look at the Go Natural Citrus Gall Wasp And Medfly Insect Trap as an added form of insect control. As soon as I have more information about the Kaolin Clay, I'll get back to you.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects