Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Getting rid of onion grass

Jeannot
Finding My Feet

Getting rid of onion grass

How do I get rid of onion grass in my buffalo grass lawn ?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Getting rid of onion grass

Welcome to Workshop @Jeannot. It's great to have you join us. 

Please note I've moved your post to the gardening board and added a more descriptive title so more community members can see it. I'm sure our members will have plenty of helpful suggestions for you about getting rid of weeds in your lawn.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

@Jeannot,

Onion weed isn't a big problem in most lawns. If its popping up it's just a sign that your lawn needs some love. If you try pulling it up you'll probably just make the problem worse as you'll spread the bulbs. Best way is to just ensure your lawn is healthy and growing fast. It will soon outgrow and dominate the onion weed. You could try things like boiling water or Glysophate but they will obviously also kill your grass.

Yes .. I have used hot water poured over the exact onion grass .. also have used salted hot /cold water. It has worked for me. However, the grass around the immediate area does "die" somewhat .. but quickly grows back.

Thanks GreyGardener,

The Buffalo lawn was turfed about 20 years ago & did well, getting thicker/running in Summer as its getting the sun & thinner in winter as it is mostly in the shade with watering system adjusted accordingly & very little traffic on the loan, for some unknow reason the last 2-3 years, every other grass or weed type seems to be getting on top of the buffalo grass ? perhaps too old or needing complete re-turf ?your advice appreciated

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jeannot, I think @greygardener is onto something, & it's something that I wished I'd known when our fine turf lawn got menaced by onion weed.

Buffalo grass from my recollection is a very thick lawn that tends to thatch over time, so my guess would be to perhaps scarify it, aerate, & feed before the hot season(?).

*Late Correction, DO NOT scarify, please refer to @greygardener's superb linked article.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Excellent & timely article @greygardener, I had no personal experience of Buffalo, & through ignorance grouped it with couches, so wrongly recommended scarifying. :embarassed:

I was hoping when I submitted, that you'd confirm or correct me, so thanks for clearing it up. :smile:

Thanks to both of you , it does look like that is what happened, thatch build up, I will follow advise from the link

Cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good luck @Jeannot. Please let us know how you go.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects