Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Growing and caring for chilli plants

bergs
Making a Splash

Growing and caring for chilli plants

Chilli.jpg

Hi, I'm trying to over winter my Chillies. Last season they were all coming on strong when Autumn came. I thought that if I tried to keep the plants alive it would give me a head start this season. I'm in Victoria (cool temperate).

I have googled it, but it's mainly British and American area guides. I trimmed them back fairly harshly and located the potted ones in a sheltered spot in the garden and backed the watering right off. They are a mixed variety.

So far one is showing signs of shooting. There has been a fair bit of die back which I have now trimmed off. The weather is not far away from getting a bit warmer, so the hopefully, they will take off again and give me earlier crops.

I had preserved (pickled) quite a few but stocks have run out.

Has anyone else had any success in over wintering Chillies? If so please share your methods with us.

Thanks and Cheers🍻Bergs

Be happy and care for your tools

Re: OVER WINTERING CHILLIES

I picked more last night @QuailFlock as I noticed a few had discoloured - not in a good way! Perhaps a little burnt by the hot sun this week?

Jason

jalepeno.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Oh no! They are such princesses, cant be too hot but cant stand the cold, don't like wet feet and needs lots of fertilizers!
But with the taste, it is definitely worth the effort!! :smile:

My capsicum plant that over-wintered.FB_IMG_1489440833524.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think my plants are nearly finished for the season, not many chillis left. Was the consensus to trim them back before winter or after?

Jason

I dug out two of my capsicum plant last week, trimed the branches that beared fruits and put them into big pots in the greenhouse. The leaves were started to turn yellow so I think it is the good time.

Thanks for the update @QuailFlock.

I might have to invest in a little greenhouse. 

Jason

bergs
Making a Splash

Hello, I have almost harvested all my chillies except for the Nellie Kellie. There are still plenty on the bushes which are turning colour, but I think that's as far as they will turn because the warm weather has slipped away now. The Jalapeño's that wintered over from last year had a lot of fruit on them, mostly mild, so the wife had those.
I did trim mine back last year and left them in the ground where they were growing. They put out new shoots early in the season, but the seedlings that I bought, out grew them very quickly. My son in law doesn't shift his but trims them back coming into the next season and seems to have plenty of growth and they fruit well.
My over wintered plants are in a very sheltered spot nearly under a large Lilypilly and root system from that is choking my plants so I probably won't over winter them because I'll have to dig the soil over and remove a lot of the roots as well as add more compost etc.
The seed I collected previously was sown last July but the plants are only fruiting now. They were Nellie Kellies but are completely different to the parent plant. I think they may have crossed pollinated with my Birdseye.
A Malaysian lady gave me some Burmese chillies that she grows and they were really tasty with a nice bit of bite. I have saved seeds from them for next season. She told my wife that she had just picked 4 kilos of them. Now that's a serious amount of chillies!
I think it depends on what region/climate you're in as to whether you lift them or leave them in their growing spot.
If you're in a cooler area you can make a little cold frame to go over them. Any sort of frame from what you may have lying around or just some tomato stakes with plastic attached. You can pick up plastic pretty easy. Everything you buy nowadays comes wrapped in it.
Well good luck with your chillie, I'm going out to plant some Broad Beans
Cheers bergs

Plastic or frost cloth both works fine. Good alternative to a green house if you don't have the space. More flexible if you are not prepare to dig up the plant. I used frost cloth for 2 years and worked very well.

The recent frosts in Melbourne haven't been kind to my jalapenos. I cut them right back but not sure they are going to get through the winter. I will try some new plants alongside the old ones and let you know which end up being more fruitful in the summer. 

Jason

bergs
Making a Splash

Hi Jason, my Jalapenos have definitely seen beetter days, the frost hasn't been too kind. The leaves have burnt but I just picked half a dozen fruit that were changing colour. These chillies will be coming into their third year this coming season. I will trim them back when the new shoots start to emerge.

Cheers bergs

IMG_20170729_083549.jpg 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects