Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to care for your Composting Worms

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to care for your Composting Worms

Keep an eye on your Worm farm, make sure it’s not to dry. We have a very warm day here in Perth, so just make sure your hard working composters are ok 🌿😊💚

DC4B714A-0F05-4D97-B679-B38F299DC2E6.jpeg

0367FFDA-44B8-43A2-B849-FAC90F143AB0.jpeg

Walter

Re: How to care for your Composting Worms

Hey @mich1972 

Good reminder to keep them moist. About "damp sponge" quality.

What are you feeding them, and what do you find most effective?

Mine seem to like a lot of a variety of cabbage leaves and stalks, potato and carrot skin peelings.

Pumpkin skins, not so much.  Not sure why.

I bought a new cross-cut shredder, so I'm going to try paper.

I keep mine covered in summer with a green mesh fly screen, which keeps the temperature down and helps stop moisture moss

BTW, I call mine "Arrakis".  🤣🤣🤣

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning Walter. We have two bathtub Worm Farms. They are spoilt rotten like the chooks 🤣🤣🤣

They get veggie scraps every day and it’s all sorts. Just not onions or citrus. 

They have shade cloth as a blanket as they ate the hessian. And a framed screen mesh with shade cloth on that too so it’s protected and the farm can breathe. And the liquid black gold they produce is beautiful !!!! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just thought I'd give this great tip a bump now that the weather is also getting warmer here in Melbourne. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the community @mich1972. Love your work.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects