Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to deter rats in the garden?

QuailFlock
Having an Impact

How to deter rats in the garden?

This summer I lost 95% of my corns, pepinos, melons, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, ginger and other yummy veggies to rats. They chewed through plastic nettings (double layered) and paper bags.

I used traps and cages with baits like fresh vegetables, bacon and meat (raw and cooked), cheese, bread and biscuits. Nothing worked.

I am at a community garden and there is no electricity, so any tech-savvy device that needs plugging in is out of question.

The Garden also practice organic gardening so rat poison is not an option. It is also the fact that owls and frogmouths are in the Garden so I don't want them die of feasting on poisoned rats.

Any suggestion on how I protect my crops from the rats?

Norwayrat.jpg

Wy
Growing in Experience

Re: How to deter rats in the garden?

Yates has this humane solution that only needs batteries:

The Ratsak Electronic Mouse Trap is a highly effective way to control mice, using advanced smart circuit technology that senses when a mouse has entered the trap, while a uniquely designed tunnel prevents escape. Once inside, the circuit triggers a high-voltage shock, killing the mouse quickly and effectively. The electronic trap kills up to 100 mice (per set of AA batteries) and can be baited with peanut butter or Ratsak Attractant Paste.

How clever, I hate peppermint too don’t blame them for moving on . The rats run along the back fence at my place huge things  My next door neighbour caught them on the cctv.coming up the storm water drain. I was more concerned about what else was on tape.! I am going to try the peppermint I got with my diffuser. Thankyou b🌺

Wy
Growing in Experience

Cover with chicken wire and dig wire deep into the ground. Good luck!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Wy. Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your idea for deterring rats in the garden.

Are you currently using chicken wire in your garden? Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your anti-rat cage? I'm sure our members would be keen to see it. If you have any projects lined up, please don't hesitate to share them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information should you need it.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Wy
Growing in Experience

I used to have a vege patch. Also check any openings under the house and in the roof and cover with the wire.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects