Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get started with joining specific classes?

Elly2
Growing in Experience

How to get started with joining specific classes?

I'd like to know how to use w/working tools and thought about doing a small project as a way of learning. I'd appreciate any advice about how to get started with this? How do I register for specific classes; when are the classes running? And any other details about working on a project would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to learn how to use tools. Thank you, Elly

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to get started with joining specific classes?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Elly2 and thanks for such a great conversation starter. 

I'm curious about the kinds of projects that you are interested in working on. If you could tell us a bit more about what you'd like to achieve @MitchellMc might have some suggestions to get you started. @redracer01 has shared a simple stool/pot plant holder woodworking project that can be completed in a weekend. These are some popular woodworking projects completed by our community members.

Sadly, due to restrictions, we are not able to run D.I.Y. Workshops within our stores at the moment. We look forward to providing this service again as soon as possible. Once we resume the Workshops, you'll be able to view them on the Bunnings website or by contacting your nearest store for details.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Elly2,

I'd encourage you to start with a drill-driver as you can use them for a variety of jobs around the home. From hanging pictures to fixing door hinges, they really are the backbone of any D.I.Y. project. Once you've caught the D.I.Y. bug, you might want to invest in a battery-powered circular saw. I find them the least intimidating tool to use for making cuts in timber. Alternatively, you could look at a jigsaw which is fantastic for making intricate cuts for projects.

I'd encourage you to check out this guide you should find useful: Essential hand tools for D.I.Y. beginners by @Peggers. We also have hundreds of helpful step-by-step articles covering just about every project around the home you could think of on the Bunnings website.

Please let us know if there are any projects you had in mind, and I trust our helpful members would be more than happy to guide you through them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Elly2
Growing in Experience

Thank you JanetK. Thats very helpful. I would like to start with something simple, naturally. Just to understand the use of the tools.

Elly2
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell, thats very helpful info. I'll check out the link. Is there a list of specific classes that I could join when the possibility arises? I like the idea f learning how to use the Drill Driver, that would help me with small tasks around the house, but I would really like to make something, simple of course, nothing to complex.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Elly2,

Once our in-store workshops recommence, please feel free to contact the Activities Organiser at your nearest store. I trust they would be more than happy to hear about your interest in an introductory power tools D.I.Y. session and do their best to organise one. Most of our stores will also hold a monthly ladies' D.I.Y. class that encompasses a brilliant mix of beginner skills. They might make a chopping board or perhaps a garden pot stand, fantastic projects to get you started on your own D.I.Y. adventure.

Please let me know if you need any assistance, as I'd be more than happy to contact your local store for you.

Mitchell

Elly2
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell, I'd like to connect with the new Bunnings at Clyde when they start up again. I will look forward to it. 

Thanks for your help.

Elly

Axelle
Getting Established

I would too. Drill driver and battery powered circular saw 👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Axelle. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

What sort of projects are you up to at the moment? I'm sure our members will be keen to hear all about what you're working on around the home and garden. Please reach out anytime you have something to share or if you need advice on a project.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Axelle,

Welcome to the community. We look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Just wanted to add to Mitch's reply that you can find and book workshops at your local stores via the Bunnings website. Just click on Stores at the top of the page, then Find a store, then click on the More details option when your chosen store has appeared. This will take you to a page where you can see and book upcoming workshops. For example, here is the page for Artarmon.  

All the best,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects