Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level a sunken lawn?

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

How to level a sunken lawn?

Hi All...

We have an issue with the grass levels on ONE(1) side of our driveway. As you will be able to see in the picture..!!

I want to be able to raise the level back up to normal height so that we can mow that part of the lawn properly.

I was thinking of doing the following:

1. Using a pitchfork aerate the ground in that area.

2. Then lay down a layer of fine Synthetic Turf Infill Sand to bring the level back up gradually...

3. Let the grass grow through that layer, then lay down another layer of sand...

4. And so on and so on... Until the level is back to normal...

Please take a look at the images and let me know what you think would be a good idea to get this done..??

Looking forward to hearing from you all...

Cheers

Julius

20210823_123211.jpg20210824_122235.jpg20210824_122259.jpg20210828_143604.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sunken Lawn...

Hi @Jolly181,

What you've mentioned with the sand will work. You can also use Scotts Lawn Builder 25L Organic Lawn Soil Topdress & Underlay, which might be slightly faster as it has organic matter, encouraging growth.

Since this is such a small area, you could have this done in a day by cutting out that portion of grass next to the driveway and adding the sand/soil under it. Cut a line down into the soil 30cm back and parallel with the driveway using a sharp shovel. Get under the grass and cut towards the drive. Cutting at a depth of 5-10cm will ensure you capture all the roots. Remove this section of grass. Add your fill along the driveway and replace the grass. Water in well and walk over the area to bed it in.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc  

Once again you come to my rescue..!!!   I will give your suggestion a go and get back to you...

Just one more question in relation to WHEN to do the patching... Would it make a difference doing in winter months as compared to Spring/Summer..???

Cheers

Julius 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd suggest waiting until it warms up a little Julius (@Jolly181). You'll see much faster results once the grass isn't so dormant.

Mitchell

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

That's what I was thinking and hoping you would say..!!!!

PERFECT..!!

I Will get back to you with progress reports as they happen

Cheers

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Morning @MitchellMc  Mitchell...

Just thought I better give you an update on the situation for the grass....

As you saw from the original photo's that ground in that area had sunk, and so after recommendations from from you I decided to go ahead with the job.

1. I wanted to cut and raise the grass and preserve the patch, BUT.. The area in question was BONE DRY and when I was trying to cut is all out I could not even lift it in one piece,

2. I decided then to just dig out tha whole patch and put the Topdress and underlay down to raise the level and then I would go to Bunnings and purchase a couple of rolls of turf to replace what was originally there..!!!

3. Since the new grass has gone in, I have been watering daily to help it along and also once weekly I have been been putting a cap full in 10 litres of water of "Neutrog GoGo Juice" and help boost the soil..!!

I do believe that things are coming along slowly and all will be goodness in time..!!

I am attaching photo's from all stages of the project for your viewing pleasure..!!!

Thank You for all your help..!!

20210920_094844.jpg

20210920_134654.jpg20210920_134449.jpg

20210924_160458.jpg20210930_135537.jpg20210930_135558.jpg

20211005_101515.jpg

20211005_101500.jpg

20211005_102847.jpg

Cheers 

Julius   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jolly181

Your progress on that patch repair is looking great. I suggest shifting your watering time from morning to very late afternoon so that you will not get excessive evaporation when watering your lawn. 

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL  Eric for the suggestion..!!

Will do that from tomorrow onwards..!!

Cheers

Julius

Jolly181
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc @EricL  Hi Guys...

Been a while since the patching of the lawn and I thought I will give you an update view of the finished product..!!  

Thank again for all your help..!!!20220106_140010.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jolly181

Thank you so much for the photo update. Your lawn repair looks flawless, I can't even see where the transplant happened. If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects