Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Irrigation, merits of various water pipe options

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Irrigation, merits of various water pipe options

Hello,

Now I have completed my garden wall, I'd like to install an irrigation system. I am wondering which irrigation piping system would be best. I have used poly-pipe before but I have found it to be brittle and prone to leaks so I am looking for something a bit more ... well, sturdy.

Thinking about:

I also have 3 x 3m Holman 20mm pressure pipes as well.

The total length of the run from tap to manifold would be about 15 metres. From there it would split into 3 seperate zones and I'd probable use poly pipe from there. 

Anyone have any advice on which might be the best option?

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Re: Irrigation, merits of various water pipe options

Thanks for that information, I hadn't considered loops until reading your post. Having read it, it seems obvious. Thanks for posting.

J_Smart
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your reply Adam. Yes that does make a lot of sense now that I think more about it.

Cheers,

Josh

No probs. It's one of those often overlooked things.
In most home garden situations it's not expensive either as you can just use regular polypipe for the return line.
If you are using a line with integrated drippers they need multiple lines to be effective anyway so, for example, going away from your connection you run down the front of your hedge then run behind the hedge to come back.

steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Hey Eric, 

Thanks for the response. I've installed my main run using the high-pressure rated pipe using the fittings you recommended. I think its worked out quite well.

Re the "FIX-A-TAP 19mm (3/4") Vacuum Breaker", the link is giving me a 'page not found' error on the Bunnings site and I couldn't find the item using search either. Would you mind checking and reposting the link?

Thanks again.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @steveof2620

My apologies if the link did not work. Try this one FIX-A-TAP 19mm (3/4") Vacuum Breaker. If this link is still faulty, go to the Bunnings website and type this number on the search bar i/n: 5070268. You may also search for the product by typing in its product name Fix-A-Tap. It will show you all the products related to that supplier.

It's great to hear that you've started on your irrigation project. We look forward to seeing it once it's complete.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing more.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
steveof2620
Cultivating a Following

Sorry Eric, none of those things display a vacuum breaker.

The link 'hits a snag', the item number show no results and the fix-a-tap list doesn't display a vacuum breaker (just various repair packs, tools, taps and so on).

I gather this is what I am looking for https://fixatap.com.au/fix-a-tap/taps-fittings-and-accessories/backflow-prevention-valves.

Perhaps they are no longer sold at Bunnings. 

There is this though..

Kinetic Chrome Backflow Preventer

d89e352f-009d-4e96-8ce1-2ed11f60b5bc.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @steveof2620

I'm so sorry none of my links worked. My only other suggestion is to download the Bunnings Product Finder App. It will tell you if your local store still carries this item. Once installed try the item number again 5070268. The link you provided for the Fix-A-Tap product is correct, that is the product I am referring to. 

I suggest trying this link Vacuum Breaker as a final try to get to the product. The Kinetic Chrome Backflow Preventer can be attached to the system you are building, but you will need to add adapters to make it go up to the size you need. Please keep us updated about the last link provided. If you can provide me with your nearest store, I can call them and inquire for you if the item is still carried locally.

We look forward to seeing your irrigation system up and running.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects