Workshop
Ask a question

How to kill weeds in the lawn?

kalradeepak
Growing in Experience

How to kill weeds in the lawn?

Hello everyone

Can you please advise what should I use to kill the weeds in garden. There are quite few patches all around. Please see the attached pictures. Manly there are two types of weed I can see

IMG_0375.jpgIMG_0374.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lawn Weed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kalradeepak  It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You might like to have a look at How to improve your lawn this Spring which is full of helpful tips on getting your lawn ready for the warmer months.

I would suggest spraying a selective weeder similar to Amgrow 250ml Bin-Die Selective Lawn Weeder over the entire area. It is suitable for use on most grasses including Buffalo, Couch Grass, Bent, Kikuyu, Paspalum, Red Fescue and Rye Grasses. It is effective in killing bindii, catsear, clover, creeping oxalis, cudweed, dandelion, plain thistle and other broad leaf weeds.

There might then still be some stubborn weeds left. I would address these by using a glyphosate product similar to Yates Zero weedkiller concentrate. This product can be diluted and placed in a Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush and painted onto the remaining weeds. You do not want to spray this product as any misting onto the surrounding grass will also kill them.

Allow these products full week to kill the weeds before pulling them out. You might find you get remaining bulbs from onion grasses come back up. I would concentrate on digging those bulbs out as they can be notoriously hard to get rid of with sprays.

Here's a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. video on How to weed your lawn which I trust you'll also find helpful.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for quick response

So one spray of Amgrow 250ml Bin-Die Selective Lawn Weeder should be sufficient? I will check the instruction but does it need to be mixed with water and hose spray? Also how long I wait before kids can start playing in the yard

Also looking at the picture can you see what type of grass I have and type of weed is growing that will help me with future work? 

@kalradeepak,

One spray of the Amgrow product should be sufficient for the majority of the weeds. You can mix it with water and apply it with a watering can or a pressure spray bottle. You'll need to wait at least until the product is dry before allowing children on the area.

It appears to be Buffalo grass and if you are not sure I would treat it as such. Buffalo is the most susceptible to poison being used on it, so I have suggested the Bin-Die because it is suitable for it. It looks mainly like you have clover and dandelion present which are both common weeds found in most lawns. 

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Much appreciated 

Also what I can use as fertilizer on regular basis so I shouldn't have this problem? 

@kalradeepak,

A suitable product for feeding and weeding maintenance would be Yates 2.4L Buffalo Pro Weed N Feed Hose On. Just make sure you always pick up the one that says "Suitable for Buffalo lawns" on the front. If it doesn't state this it will most likely kill the Buffalo.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects